cold sore

My 5 year old daughter has a nasty looking cold sore on the outside edge of her mouth anyone no any good home remedies to get rid of it?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Health

• Poor thing, cold sores are so painful. I get them pretty frequently and have found that applying an ice cube wrapped in a paper towel for several minutes off an on during the day helps. Also, dabbing the cold sore with a bit of tea tree oil or alcohol on a Q-tip several times a day helps dry it up quickly and keeps it from spreading. It will sting a bit but if you do it right after the ice it's not bad. I've also tried Abreva but can't say that it really worked that well for me.
    I hope she gets some relief soon!!
    BakingMom74

Answer by BakingMom74 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Don't use tea tree oil or alcohol. Tea tree oil in the essential oil form is a natural anti fungal. Cold sores are caused by the herpes VIRUS. The tea tree will burn her skin, and if she ingests it, can be very harmful. The alcohol isn't good for her skin either, and won't do anything but make her skin dry and crusty.

Keep the area clean and dry and make sure that she is taking a good quality multi vitamin. (We use Natrol liquid multi vitamin for our 3 year olds). L Lysine is an amino acid that can help shorten the outbreak, or even prevent it if used daily. I would get her an ointment form and put it on according to the directions. I would avoid taking it orally at her age.

You can find L Lysine at most health food stores, but GNC has one of the best selections, along with a good multi.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2010