cold sore

My 5 year old daughter has a nasty looking cold sore on the outside edge of her mouth anyone no any good home remedies to get rid of it?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It could be hand and mouth disease. It looks exactly like a nasty cold sore. You can google pictures and see if you think that's what it is. It is very contagious. If there is any chance she has hand and mouth disease she shouldn't go out of the house, be around other children, or go to school. Your other children will probably get it if they haven't had it.

My children are immune deficient and have all had it. One of them was in the hospital while he had it and they put him in isolation and people had to gown up, put masks on, the whole works. He was in the hospital for somthing else and just happened to get the hand and mouth disease then.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I looked it up on the CDC website and it's called foot, hand and mouth. Like it says on their website, kids can get just mouth sores. That's the only place two of my children had sores. On just had one big sore on the outside of his lip. We have an old photo somewhere. They didn't get other symptoms like fever, it didn't slow them down.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• abreva if its not the other thing?
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 8:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Carmex chap stick too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Carmex and Chapstix will NOT work on cold sores. Try hydrogen peroxide dipped in a Qtip and dapped on the sore. It may sting if the sore is open but it will clear it up in a day or two. I get cold sores all the time and carmex and chapstix do NOT work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2010