liquid intake while breastfeeding

in my prenatal class we were asked to take abt 12-14 glasses of liquids a day to maintain a good milk flow. is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I could never have had that much to drink! and I successfully breastfed all 4 of my kids. I did make sure that I had a glass of water beside me when I sat down to nurse and I tried to drink the whole thing either while nursing or when finished, but even that only ended up being 8-10 glasses. You definitely need to have a good fluid intake, and try for as much as you can, but if you don't reach that mark you will still be able to breastfeed.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• No that is not true.. for most healthy women you'll be able to breastfeed normal with less then the normal recommendation.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 8:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Just drink to thirst. There is some evidence that forcing yourself to drink too much is bad for your health and may be bad for breastfeeding. It's good to keep water near where you breastfeed so if you start to feel thirsty you aren't trapped nursing for half an hour thirsting to death.

Virtually all women around the world can breastfeed their babies. The World Health Organization estimates between 95-98%. That includes women who live in disasters like Haiti, women starving in Africa, women that have to walk a mile to carry unsafe water for their family to drink.

You don't need to worry about being 'able to maintain a good milk flow'. Breastfeed withing the first hour after birth, feed 8-12 times a day on demand, don't give any bottles or pacifiers and breastfeeding should be easy. If you have an epidural be prepared to have engorged breasts from the IV fluids you have been given.

www.kellymom.com is a good website
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Drink to thirst and nurse frequently. Water intake is usually only a problem with milk supply when you get really dehydrated.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2010