Why is it ok to send money overseas and yet let our ppl die for lack of health care

why does the US send so much money in charitable donations (I'm talking about gov funds not things like the red cross etc...) overseas and yet complain and say there's no money for health care?

Why is it ok to help those in other countries and yet let our own ppl die do to lack of healthcare and meds. Yesterday there was a post about a 9 year old little boy who died b/c his mom couldn't afford his meds.

If our country is truly as great as ppl think it is it shouldn't ruin your life and credit or even kill you due to lack of healthcare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Agreed .. This subject always ticks me off.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I have to agree with you. It is simply amazing how quickly we can come up with billions of dollars for other countries. Yet we are in a financial mess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Indiana is one of the worst states for Medicaid rules. Most states give disabled people that get SSI Medicaid. Indiana has it's own process to decide who gets Medicaid disability. When you apply everyone gets denied. The caseworkers tell you that. You appeal and get denied again. Happens to everyone again. It takes about a year to get on Medicaid. Then every 4 years they can just drop you from Medicaid and it takes a year to get back on again.

Thousands of disabled people die a year that wouldn't die in other states because of Indiana Medicaid practices. They always drop the people with the highest expenses every 4 years. They want people to die while they don't have coverage. There is no Medicaid in Indiana for poor adults, not even people that have become poor for reasons they can't control. Some poor mothers can get Medicaid.

Thousands of people on SSI die each year just in Indiana waiting for Medicaid!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think it would bother me if I lived in a country that did not try to help other countries who are in crisis....I think it is all about balance. I don't think we are ignoring the people in our own country who need help either. It is just a constant struggle. Health care here is expensive, at least partly because most of us do have insurance. It is almost like it had driven the cost of health care up. We also have clinics and charity care, medicare, medicaid, and charities to help. Does anyone fall through the cracks? Yes, definitely. But it isn't as if the problem is not being addressed at all. This will probably be an ongoing struggle. But, I can't say personally that I am offended by our country giving any help to other countries. Maybe the balance is off....I am not sure about that. I agree we have to help the people here "first".
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• we do help our own...there are truly hardworking families who end up 'falling through the HC cracks'...but there are hundreds more who 'fight' tooth and nail to stay ahead of those families, and end up recieving through no hardwork of their own. IMO, this is where our system fails 'our own'. (no, i'm not bashing those who are honestly in need of help from medicaid/govt) checks and balances, people. yes, every human deserves good HC, worldwide..and it would help a lot if those who could budget themselves better (or at all!) would help us help ourselves, rather than always recieve. JMO
    also, the govt doesn't ruin anyone's credit, op...people do that to themselves.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• When i mentioned credit I was speaking of those with health care issues and no or inadequate health care who ruin their credit trying to get help and likely quit receiving care if they run out of money and fall through the cracks. Nice to know if that happens they are at fault and deserve it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• b/c if we didnt help other countries- then we'd REALLY be 100% selfish greedy bastards. and the govt helps its people plenty. yeah, if fucks alot of us over, but theres tons of help out there with housing, food costs, theres MEDICAID which is how many people can pay for medical bills associated with pregnancy (that is also how many people are able to continue having kids they cant afford), etc.
    the story about the boy is heartbreaking- BUT, the mom couldve sold or pawned something of hers to get money quick for his meds. you dont neglect your childs medical needs b/c the govt wont pay for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Maybe the mother didn't have anything to sell or pawn and in that case lack of health care killed her son. Sometimes the money just isn't there. My husband has a job making 11 an hour for a family of 4 and that means we make too much for me to get medicaid. I have health problems and have tried charities, churches, clinics etc... I need to see a specialist and the free clinics just have gp's. So i can't get help through the gov until i am on death's door practically and can't get help elsewhere either so I am going to have to try and pull the money from the air or let it get critical before I receive any help. There is something wrong with a system like that but I guess i deserve it for being poor but not poor enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Because people in this country are ignorant about healthcare and they think hey I'm covered if someone isn't it's their problem. And for whatever reason people think anyone can get medicaid! So not true! It's shameful and sad and that is one of the reason I am ashamed to be an American.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• op..on the 'credit' issue...sorry, i misunderstood..thanks for clarifying your intention in using that word.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2010