Is it OK to be induced at 35 weeks?

This is my second time, but I should have given more infomation.
Earlier this week I went to the doc for decreased fetal movement, but got sent to the hospital for his heart rate being too hig and they kept me because apparantly I was contracting. Well they gave me wwater, an iv, and threee shots of whatever to no aavail. Finally they stopped. I felt some, but not all of them. They did an U/S and all seemed fine with the baby and my cervix.

Well two days ago I woke up and had two contractions in 30 minutes so I called the doc. He had me drink some water and said if they get closer or stronger to call back. Otherwise he would see me later that morning (it was 3am then). So when I went in he said he wanted to induce at 35 weeks. I was shocked so didn't ask him all the questions i should, but will when I got back in 2 weeks.

phonics

Asked by phonics at 8:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would definately ask why he wants to induce you early, but from what i know 35 weeks is not that early. Also, I know that I had a good relationship with my doctor and if he told me that, i would trust that he was doing what was best for me and my baby. definately ask questions.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It is early - and shouldn't be done unless there is reason. But isn't horrible either.
    Def ask why.
    Good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• not unless it is medically necessary... due dates are an estimation of 2 weeks, so you could potentially delivering a 33 week baby...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Well I know I am not going to be 33 weeks because I went to him realy early and when I first went it was too early to even see the baby on U/S so we knew I was not that far along. He was able to see the yolk sac, but that was it. Then I went 2 weeks later and he say the baby. So the due date is pretty accurate.
    phonics

Answer by phonics at 9:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think sometimes some children need to come out when they are good and readyu, but then, on other occassions - there are times when the baby needs to be taken. A babies survival rate after being born at 28 weeks goes up to something like 80% and every week beyond that it continues to go up. At 35 weeks you are 2 weeks away from being considered 'full term' as babies delivered at 37 weeks are not considered premature. Would I induce at this gestation for no go reason - no. However, you have to weigh up the pro's and cons. If your dr thinks it is better for the baby to induce then I would trust his judgement. Be prepared for the fact that a 35 weeker might need NICU care, but even a full term baby can require that. I am sure they won't just induce anyhow, they'll maybe do an amnio for lung maturity and give steroids. Good luck!
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 9:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• As long as there is a medical reason behind it. I was almost induced at 35 weeks beacuse of my extremely high BP although luckily they were able to get it down with some meds and strict bedrest. My dr told me they would take her at 35 weeks if they had to but would rather not. In my case we are hoping to make it to atleast 37. HTH
    Cassidysmom611

Answer by Cassidysmom611 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I am not sure about being induced at 35 weeks, but my kids tend to like to make their entrance early. My son was born at 37 weeks andwas perfectly healthy. My oldest daughter was born at 33 weeks and 4 days and was healthy but needed a little assistance breathing for a little bit, but it was the litle cannula you see the old people with giving them oxygen. She spent 10 days in the nicu, but that was basically to teach her how to eat from a bottle because she hadn't developed the suck swallow breath reflexes yet. My second daughter was born at 34 weeks and 4 days and was perfectly healthy too, didn't need any assistance with anything and came home with me two days later. I think as long as the baby is estimated at a good weight and you have been healthy throughout your pregnancy, then there shouldn't be anything wrong. But I would go in expecting at least a small stay in the nicu, but I think things will be okay
    SuprMom12042702

Answer by SuprMom12042702 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i would say yea and no because anything under i believe 36 or 37 weeks is considered premature so at 35 every week counts.
    nienie21

Answer by nienie21 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Generally- it's too early. However there may be medical reasons why it's not safe for your baby to be carried to term. You should ask a lot of questions before going along with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would ask the doctor why he wants to do that. If there were serious medical problems involved then it's okay. My firstborn son was born at 35 weeks and had respitory destress when he was born. I think that 37 weeks is about the safest time to even consider it.
    flywifey86

Answer by flywifey86 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2010