'Green' cleaners. Help please.

how do I make my own cleaners for the home.
I need an all-purpose cleaners as well as something to put on the carpets before I vacuum. A glass cleaner would be nice also. I am mostly concerned about kitchen cleaning since me do make our food there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Water, baking soda, and essential oils, like lavender or eucalyptus. I don't remember the proportions, but you can google them. You will probably get lots of different kinds.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Oh. And how do I make it smell nice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Hopefully one of these sites has what you are looking for www.howtocleanstuff.net/,www.housekeepingchannel.com/,http://www.howtocleananything.com/
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• You can buy green cleaners at Target. For places I want to kill germs I use one of the green brands of germ killing sprays. I generally use Seventh Generation. Don't use sponges, throw them away. Use cloths that you can wash or paper towels.

You can use vinegar and white water in a spray bottle for general cleaning. I love Trader Joe's Multi-purpose Cedar Wood & Sage Cleaner.

The germ killing spray and Trader Joe's are the only two cleaning products I own. I think two store bought green products are ok.

Baking soda works like cleanser and doesn't scratch. It's also cheap. You can use it to clean your fridge. It can be hard to get the white residue off. You can put baking soda on your carpet to make it smell nice. There are a lot of uses for baking soda.

I use water in a spray bottle for cleaning mirrors and it works. You can add some vinegar. If there is a spot I will attack it with a little rubbing alcohol.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I use 10-20 drops tea tree oil, 1/2 C lemon juice, fill your container 1/2 way w/ vinegar & top off w/ water. You can clean ANYTHING w/ this. If you don't like the smell of vinegar add some lavender or pepermint oil but vinegar doesn't linger like bleach does. 7th Generation makes great cleaners but the above is way cheaper. For anything that requires scrubbing I use baking soda & a kitchen sponge w/ a scrubby. Carpet cleaner-put baking soda in an old spice container, the smaller the hole the better, sprinkle on the carpet, leave for a few hrs & vaccum it up, for stains spray vinegar & blot. the Green Organic Natural Simple Living group has great recipes for everything you could ever imagine!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Glass cleaner - vinegar....the smell will go away; I also use this for my tables and counter tops as a general cleaner

carpets- baking soda, sprinkle it all over let it sit for about 30 minutes and vacuum it up
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Laundry detergent
    1 bar felz naptha
    1c washing soda
    1c Borax

I chop the bar of soap up and melt it with water in a sauce pan, once fully melted, pour into a 5 gallon bucket, ad washing soda and borax, mix and add hot water to fill the bucket, let it set overnight and it will gel. Mix up the gel and you have laundry soap. I use about 1/3-1/2 c each load
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• tea tree oil is 22.00 for 2 oz? How long does it last?
    Anonymous

• you can get it cheaper somewhere else, lasts a long time.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2010