Does labor pain hit out of nowhere?

When you are about to go into labor do you know when it's going to happen or does the pain just hit you? I'm so scared of that and scared of being alone at home when the pain starts and I will be screaming. I'm hoping that they aren't as bad as some people are saying but this is really bothering me.

penguinbabe44

Asked by penguinbabe44 at 9:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• WHen you go into labor it shouldnt just start out of no where. At firstt you have little pains but you know when it is labor because throughout your pregnancy you shouldnt have felt any pain so when you feel a little something it may be starting.. BUt it will start out light and then progressively get harder and harder as it did with mee.. I know right away i was going into labor cause my whole pregnancy i felt no pain whatsoever so as soon as i felt a tiny bit of pain i knew that day was the day he was coming!! lol. But dont be scaredd. and when your in labor you should just try to be as relaxed as possible and try not to scream! just breathe through it.
    EthansMommy1120

Answer by EthansMommy1120 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My first baby they came on gradually and got closer together and stronger as the time went on I am thinking over a few hours. With my 2nd it was much more intense very fast BUT she was born 3 hours from 1st contraction to her popping out. That is not normal! It is normall 8or so hours all together. My biggest fear was my water breaking in bed!! SO I got one of the pp pads and put it in there so I didnt mess the bad up...but the mine didnt break untill the last minute with both of mine.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 9:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• The begining contractions are not nearly as bad as the end ones. They let you know they are there, but won't have you home screaming. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It is very rare for labor to come on fast, for it to be very painful right at first, and for the baby to be born very quickly. That's why it's on TV when it happens, it's so rare!!!

You can expect 12-18 hours of labor. It starts slow and you are able to walk around and do things. Then comes active labor when it's more intense and you have trouble doing anything else.

Birth is scary if you don't know anything about it. That's why they invented childbirth classes, people started writing books about childbirth, there are organizations that provide info about childbirth online, there are DVDs with childbirth classes, and other resources for pregnant moms.

Learn about what to expect so you aren't scared. Consider hiring a doula.

I had 3 babies, no pain meds, never screamed. It was never much worse than a bad period for me. I had bad periods. Endometriosis.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• girl no you never really know when it's gonna hit so just breathe and pray cause the pain is sometimes unbearable every child i had i asked to medicine cause me and the pain just don't mix. and yea I've been at home alone when it happen so just remember to stay calm and breathe.
    nienie21

Answer by nienie21 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Usually, there is gradual escalation over hours or even days. For me, labor starts with feeling gassy and "not quite right." A few hours later, I start getting mild period cramps. Those become stronger over a period of hours. With my son, I had about eight hours of that before the first real contraction. With my daughter, there was much less of a lead up to real contractions but that's pretty normal for second and sucessive babies. Contractions usually build in intensity. They're generally short and barely noticable at first and become harder and longer over the course of hours.

Even if you plan to get an epidural when you go to the hospital, you should look into natural techniques because they will help you relax in early labor. They will also help if the hospital says you have to progress further before getting an epi or if the epi doesn't work correctly.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• In most cases you won't have contractions that will have you screaming just all of a sudden. They build up gradually over time, usually hours, and 99% of the time you will have plenty of opportunity to call someone and get to the hospital before they are THAT bad. Not saying it never happens, but the chances are slim. Don't watch TV shows or movies with women in labor...they skip right over the early stages of labor and go straight for the worst of it for dramatic effect. This is usually true for "real life" shows like A Baby Story and movies that are scripted. They will just scare you! I also agree with a pp. You may consider getting books about labor and delivery so you have a better idea of what to expect. Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• No, it's much more of a gradual thing! I had a pretty fast active labor w/ my last, but I knew it was going to happen that week b/c of increased BH contrax. and then consistant light contrax. all day until I went into active labor that night. Things can intensify quickly, esp. the closer you get to the end of it, but I think you can really tell when it's starting though.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 12:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2010