Has anyone lost their job without notice?

Times are tough here. 3 times in my life I lost a job without one Day, minute notice! They just up & closed down. Once I worked at a restaurant where the owners just up & left/Closed. Left the area and haven't been seen. All the money I paid into for taxes weren't ever credited or anything to SS/fica Etc.. Now my DD lost her job with no notice. My DH lost his job after a one year Lay off.He was working on being there 25 years. No benefits or anything just a Good Bye letter. Per his union. Also his prior job closed and went to Mexico. Its just overwhelming when you lose your job. Worse so without any warning! How do you deal or cope? My DD was at her job for almost 5 years. Prior job just closed down. Its Sad if you want to work for small businesses where you care about the people, owner, community and it can't make a go out of it! What's a good field besides health care? If you can't take the sights or smells? Job Security?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 9:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have. A department at the college where I worked closed. I found out about it the Friday that it closed just from chance when I read the local paper. I was informed on Monday. It made me feel sick to my stomach. I am very sorry for your family's job problems, much worse than mine, I'd only been working there 7 years. I hope that all is better soon for you all.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My husband was laid off with no notice. Walked in one day started working and was called into the office to be let go his position was being eliminated.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My hubby lost his job when I was in school full-time and we had a 13 month old. He went to work one day and then come home an hour later and said he was laid off. We were both trying to find a job. When my FIL found out I was going to quite school. He helped us out till hubby found a job and I would not have to quite school when all i had left was 4 months. We were so thankful he was there to help us out. Because know I have a great job that I would not have had if I had to quite school.
    Anonymous

• there are other jobs out there, depents on what you can do, I do security, and I know I might not always have the high pay but I always have a job, and the hours suck but seems like we havent let a single person go yet, and we are one of the biggest companies in the world for security.
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 3:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Pershaps working for the government would be better. Try applying for a civil service job.

So sorry.
    Anonymous