My 6 month Old

How often should a 6 month old baby eat?

maxsmommy1018

Asked by maxsmommy1018 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby should still breastfeed on demand. It may still be 8-12 times a day. Breastmilk should remain the main source of nutrition for the first year.

There is never any need for baby cereal, jar foods, baby puffs, ect.

Your baby can feed itself small amounts of fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado. Start out with one feeding a day and work up to more feeding. You want to add meat soon as a source of iron.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website and has good info on starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Assuming you don't breastfeed, what my doctor told us was no more than 32 oz of formula in 24 hrs, which is what my 5 1/2 month old son gets. We're about to start him on some baby foods- applesauce and strained bananas, so that should cut down his formula intake after awhile. I would ask your pediatrician, they might recommend something else based on your baby's weight and/or any health concerns there might be.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2010