how can I get all three of my kids to go to sleep?

have a 4 1/2 year old and 3 1/2 year old boys. They have always fallen asleep on the couch while watching their shows on DVR and I take them up to bed asleep. Although they will wake up at night and want to sleep on the couch for the rest of the night, it has never really bothered me and seem to work ok for our household. Well now I am paying for it. They are getting later and later to fall asleep at night and then I resort to yelling at them and it is just becoming chaos. I also have a 6 month little girl and I need to get her on a sleep schedule and I want to do the CIO method. However I worry about her waking up her brothers and then I have all three up in the middle of the night!! But my daughter is just started this week going to bed to "nap" at 8 and then up at 9 till almost 1!!! Although some people think this is ok, I do not. I need help!! The kids rooms are right next to each other

BonnieB1973

Asked by BonnieB1973 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My boys are 15 and 8. Our DD is 7 weeks old. I feel your pain. DD was a preemie being born a month early. She was very healthy but her nervous system was immature to where she could not regulate her own body heat. So she is downstairs with us in our room where she sleeps in her pack and play.

To get your kids to sleep on time you may try this. Fix a heavy meal for dinner. Make sure the kids eat large portions. Warm baths after dinner with lavender baby oil in the water and lavender lotion on the skin after. Try bedtime at 8:30-9pm and tell them there is no more coming into the living room after lights out.

The boys know to keep it down in the evening when DD is sleeping. If she is up crying they also know it's part of being a baby and reminding them...she is fine, she's just fussy. I hope you are able to resort to a new schedule that makes things easier for you.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I believe that you should definitely do a bath before or after dinner, this will calm their bodies down. After dinner have them go to their own beds and give them some warm milk with cinnamon and a cookie. Talk to them for a little bit and tell them that you want them to grow big and strong, but that they need to get some good sleep. It may take a little while, but what is going to happen is that there bodies will become accustomed to the routine. SO much so that they will be asking you to go to bed earlier. Give them the responsibility though, it makes them feel like they have a big part. I let my daughter help me fix her bath, she lays out her night clothes and she picks the book we are to read together.
    pebbleschild

Answer by pebbleschild at 10:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My opinion is that YOU created this situation and it is completely unfair to expect them to change overnight, and make them sob about it. It's not their fault that you have taken the easy way out until now, and it's going to take some time to undo.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't know if I am understanding you, but if you are letting them fall asleep to the t.v. Stop it! They will go to bed later and later and soon have days and nights mixed up. You will have to put them down, and sit in their room. Everytime they get up, don't speak just put them back in bed. This may take 2 hrs or more and they will scream and fight...but if you keep at it for one night, they will learn you mean business and eventually stop fighting you. As for the little one, no matter what don't let her have that late nap. Give her a long bath at that time..or anything that will pass the time, then put her down.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Thank you ladies for the advice and support. The ones that are negative or rude I will choose to ignore your comments since I expected as much. My family has been through a lot in the past few years and my boys have found a comfort as well as I have falling asleep while watching their shows. It is just becoming too much with the new baby so I know things have to change. I ended up putting her in bed last night and letting her CIO which only lasted less than three minutes. Then she woke up about an hour later and I just held her a few seconds and she let out a burp and I put her back in bed. She slept 10 hours! So I am hoping to continue this routine and see how it goes. For the boys we are getting them new beds and then I think I will start the go to bed in your own bed and not in their "spots" on the couch. These three are my whole world and I want them to be happy and healthy. Thanks for your comments and support!
    BonnieB1973

Answer by BonnieB1973 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2010