Sleep question for 8wk old

My daughter gets really fussy between 8-9pm each night and sometimes falls asleep. I've been putting her to bed around 10pm after a feeding. I can't figure out why she's so fussy. I switched to gentlease formula thinking that would help. I've also tried gripe water and haven't seen a difference.

Should I try putting her to bed earlier? I like putting her down at 10pm because that's when I go to bed so then I can get 4-6 hours of sleep before she wakes. I'm afraid that if I put her down at 8pm, I'll be up again at midnight!

What's a "proper" sleep schedule for an 8wk old? She takes several naps during the day!

hollysmom77

Asked by hollysmom77 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lots of babies have their "fussy time". There isn't really anything you can do about it and thankfully they grow out of that eventually.
    There is no "proper" schedule for a baby so small....just let her sleep when she wants. If she wakes you at midnight, oh well you'll just have to get up. You can't force a baby that small to stay up later than they want to, they'll just go to sleep anyways.
    Once she gets bigger you can get her on a schedule but for now let her lead.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:05 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Honestly, at 8 weeks there isn't going to be much of a schedule except hers. And at 8 weeks there definitely isn't a "proper" one. The most you can do really is keep putting her down at the time you want her down and see if in a few days she gets the hang of it. As far as the fussiness goes, you can talk to your doctor about other formulas (if you think it's still a formula problem. my son was on gentlease and it didn't do anything so they switched him again and found something much better) do you have a bouncy chair that vibrates? that helps my son when he's grumpy.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 10:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Proper sleep schedule LOL!

Some people try to put babies on a schedule. It's not a good idea to manipulate babies. You can fall into a routine but babies needs are always changing and just when you get used to one thing the baby changes.

What's normal for humans is for mothers to breastfeed and sleep with their babies. Women have done it throghout time and still do in most of the world. Mothers and babies have a symbiotic relationship and get on the same sleep cycle due to pheromones.

Cribs, puting babies down, formula, CIO and schedules are all recent uncontrolled human baby experiments and we don't know the long term consequences.

Babies are fussy. Sometimes it's formula, you could relactate. Babies carried in slings are less fussy. Swaddling sometimes helps.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• If she is fussy between around 8 & sometimes falls asllep, then is probably tired. I've been putting my 11 week old to sleep at about 7:30 every night since she was around 5 weeks. I don't think there's necessarily a proper sleep schedule for a baby so young, but you can't expect her to be on an adult sleeping schedule. I understand you need sleep, but if she's tired at 8, let her sleep at 8. At least then you'd get some alone time for a couple of hours before you go to bed. Also, my daughter doesn't usually wake up until around 3, so I get a good amount of sleep before being up with her again.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my son has been going to bed between 7-9 for months he's 4 1/2 months now yes sometimes he will wake up once around 12-1 but then he sleeps the rest of the night if shes fussy it's because shes tired and wants to go to sleep your pretty much going to have to deal with it at that age try either staying up or going to sleep then it's her rules not yours
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• According to what I have read, a baby's circadian rhythm makes them most likely to go to sleep between 5-7 pm. So an earlier bedtime may be in order. What I did with my kids was to go ahead and do their whole bedtime routine between 7-8 and then wake them up and bfeed them right before I went to sleep at 10-11. Around this age, they were able to drop that late feeding and sleep straight through until 7 am the next morning but if she's used to eating at night then she will most likely wake up to eat at some point if you don't go ahead and feed her.

Answer by missanc at 2:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2010