best method of potty training

i have an 18 month old son and i would like to potty train.is he to young and if not how do i start? i have older kids but they are way older so im a little rusty.please give input.

chera135

Asked by chera135 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Best method - wait until they are 3
    Second best method - wait until they are almost 3 and have a really good reward or bribe
    Third best method - have a really neat potty chair and teach them to pee standing up

Cute story. I have a 16 mo grandson and he kind of thinks he is a dog. He has a lab mix dog that goes everywhere with him. His dog sits next to his car seat and comes to my house when I care for him. I have dogs. My grandson doesn't talk much but he barks with the dogs.

We have a dog run off the kitchen. I had my grandson naked getting ready to take a bath in the kitchen sink. We live in AZ and the door was open. He went outside and peed off the steps in the dog run! It was great! We think he knew what he was doing. That's where the dogs go potty so that's where he went potty.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• try sitting him on the big potty in the mornings right when he wakes up and when he potties praise him like good job alright! and after he starts realizing that he gets praised from going potty get him and little potty chair for himself and get him to sit and read him and book or show him pictures and when he goes praise him again. pretty soon he'll be running to the the potty when he knows he has to go..being this young it might be a longer process, but it is possible to be done. the key to anything with children is consistency. Keep on it and he'll be trained! GL and i hope this helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think the best way is to wait until they turn 3. Then take the diapers away completely. Go right to undies. It will only take 2-3 days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My sister started potty training her daughter at age 2. fully trained by age 3. just take them to the potty when you go and have them sit on it and also when they get up in the morning and after naps. basically every 2 hours. and praise them when they go in the potty and not in their diaper. My daughter is 16 months old and when she goes in her diaper she will crouch down and put her hands between her legs. she can tell me when she has to go yet. hope i helped you some.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010