How often do you clean/disinfect your kitchen sink and what do you use to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Health

• every night after dishes i scrub the sink with dawn, but i usually disinfect once a week with bleach
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 10:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I clean it every time I use it, and bleach every couple of days- it's always shiny!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I am trained as a medical lab tech and microbiologist. I also have immune deficiencies. I can get sick easily, but I don't. You would think I would be really worried about the kitchen. I think people are using too little prevention and too much cleaners.

Bleach is a nasty chemical and no one should have it in their homes. There are problems with bleach resistant bacteria.

Don't use sponges. Use cloths that can be cleaned well or paper towels. Be careful about not spreading germs all over the place. You can clean with dish soap or a green general cleaner as you go along.

When things are dry you can spray with lysol (hold your breath and back away) or you can clean with a spray antigerm cleaner and use paper towel. You don't want to clean when wet because water dilutes germicide. You don't want to use germicides so much you get superbugs in your kitchens.

I do it as needed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Once a week with a green cleaner.I disinfect the side where I rinse dishes just before I put the rinse water in.I don't usually have meat near the sink,I open it on the counter which is cleaned several times a day.We're hardly ever sick.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I clean my kitchen multiple times a day....i wipe counter tops, cabinets and the sink. I use lemon rind in my disposal and pour bleach down there to get the funk out......I use my dish soap to clean my sinks and lysol kitchen cleaner to clean everything. I use towels and sponges and stick the sponges in the dishwasher after a day or so, and the towels get switched out every other day and washed. I'm definitely clean :)
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I'm probably a bit obsessive but I clean my sink about twice a day and disinfect it at least once a day . I really don't like looking at a grimy sink.
    BakingMom74

Answer by BakingMom74 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I just use soapy water from the dishes and rinse it off really good. I like comet too, so I'll use that once in a while. If the bubbles are gone when I'm done cleaning dishes, I'll usually add a drop of dish soap to the sponge and lather it up then wash it out.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• everynight before I go to bed ,with a little bleach abd dish soap.
    coloredribbons

Answer by coloredribbons at 1:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Not very often. I figure the dish liquid cleans it. I wipe down the counter tops but don't disinfect anything. I don't use the garbage disposal often but then again I scrap food into the garbage not the sink. I've done this for decades and am healthy.
    Anonymous

• I use lysol wipes. I try not to use bleach too much, because my sink is white, not stainless steel, and I think it is damaging to it. Vinegar and water also disinfect nicely without using toxic chemicals.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010