Why wait til 3?

I am curious as to why everyone thinks you should wait til a boy is 3 before potty training? I used to work in multiple daycares and a lot of 2 year old boys were potty trained. So why is 3 the magic age now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• because we are in the age of "don't push them" ugh
    sorry lol
    I used to work in daycare too, and kids oculd not move up to the 3 year old class until they were potty trained. I started with my son around 8 months - not pushing it, but introducing it. A week after his 2nd b day he was in underwear and doing great!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• OP:I thinks it dumb to wait til 3 myself. My son is 13 months and I am going to start training with in the next few months once he gets his walking down good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• OOPS I put I started at 8 months!! LOL I started with him at about *18 months! :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• lol I was thinking that was a lil early haha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It's just easier. There is no "training" involved. It takes 3 days and that's it. I work full time and this method has worked well for me. If you have a lot of time to constantly take them to the potty, and change accidents, then by all means, go ahead!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• as soon as they showed interest in the potty, then began using it. I took all diapers away during the day, let them go bottomless and make frequent trips to the potty. no "Training" involved.
    my 2 1/2 year old only wears pull ups at night. But on the flip side, a lot of children are not physically/mentally developed enough to consistently use the toilet- it becomes a headache for anyone who is responsible for their care. To each his own.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• U dont have to wait till there three but in my case my son is three and still not potty trained. He knows how to use the potty but only on his turms. Every other month we will try and work with him to see if hes ready but this last time we tried we did the underware no diapers for three days and he would pee or poop and tell us afterwards even when I was taking him every 45 min. So untill hes ready to actually tell me he has to go potty then Im not going to push it but I will keep working with him. Im not the very pushy type as it annoys me when I see other parents doing it. I just feel like every child is different and not everyone is going to be on the same level.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't think it's really a matter of thinking you SHOULD wait until they are 3. They are just saying that often boys are later to get it down. I know that I've read in several different things that the AVERAGE age for boys to be there is 3 and that girls tend to be earlier on it. So if on AVERAGE it's 3 then there is no reason for the mom of a 15 month old to be freaking out about potty training. KWIM?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• OK, I'm going to sound like the stupid mom now....but it's kind of silly, hopefully make you laugh. My son was potty trained to pee by age 3, but I was still changing poopy pull ups for the next year. I finally said, "you know, I'm tired of this, everyone else can poop in the toilet, now you have to, because I'm not changing you anymore". And that was it, lmao....he kind of said "ok", but I don't remember if that was verbally or not....but he never had an accident and just started using the toilet, like why was I make such a big deal????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Because MY son was not ready at age 2, or 2yrs3mos, or 2yrs6mos, or 2yrs9mos, or anywhere between! He'll be 3 in March, and nothing has worked for him. Some can do it, some can't. My girls weren't ready at that age either - 2 of them were near their 4th birthday before they were fully trained. I'm a pusher, but pushing backfires if they aren't ready!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2010