To Moms who have cooked pork shoulder before...

How did you do it? We got a huge pork shoulder and I'm boiling it in a brine of water, cider vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic, crushed red pepper, Goya Sazon with achote(could be spelling it wrong-the red one), and a little allspice...before roasting it. It's HUGE!!! It's my first time making pork shoulder, but I'm a dang good cook so I know it will turn out alright. I'm making potatoes, yellow rice, carrots, and maybe some beans...It's superbowl sunday-we need a feast! LOL! Diet restarts again tomorrow.

Ann_Ony_Mouse

Asked by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 11:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my pork shoulders are baked. I make a seasoning mix consisting of : fresh crushed garlic, olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, onion powder, oregano and lemon juice. cover the shoulder with the seasoning and put in a baking pan to bake. After about an hour I pour chicken stock/ broth over the shoulder and cover. I continue to check every hour and turn the shoulder and baste. When ready the shoulder should be so soft that the meat just falls off.....the taste is incredible and leftovers can be made into pulled pork sammies! Oh I use the shoulders juices to make gravy.....just put into a small pot and add a lil cornstarch to thicken up juice....omg so so so so so good. :)
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I just boil it in 2 large garlic cloves until tender. Shredded afterward and season it with spices I'm accustom to.  They make good burritos filling as well as for tamales. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I bake it slowly with bbq sauce.I use it for pulled pork sandwiches.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I'm :13 anon

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I cook again on the top stove with a little broth I season it and cook for another 1/2 hour. Yummmmm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• sounds great! I always add rice wine to mine. It gives it an awsome flavor. Cook it on low heat for a long time and keep basting it. The meat will fall apart with a slight touch of the fork.
    Good luck!

GO SAINTS
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I just put it in the oven a few minutes ago-with some of the broth, tented with aluminum foil like you would with a turkey. With the rest of the broth, I'm boiling taters, carrots, and onions. I'm going to do green beans with bacon and onions for the veggie. How effective, right? *snort! giggle!*
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 11:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• *cough* Go Colts!!!
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

• Ugh, I never boil meat like that - yuck! I put it in the crock pot or electric roaster overnight, and it always comes out melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Even my kids have been able to eat it better than hamburger at a young age, it's that tender and juicy. But to each their own!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2010