food reaction while breastfeeding

can a child suddenky start reacting to some food i always ate. my baby is 1 month old and is gassy since yesterday. everyone asking me to stop dairy products but ive been having the same milk since she was born and she was fine up until now.

happymum2010

Asked by happymum2010 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Allergies to any given food can occur at any time. Allergies do not usually show up the first time they encounter a food, unless it is a SEVERE reaction- usually to things like nuts & shellfish.

You may have had something else that could have triggered it, like anything in the cabbage family (including broccoli, some sprouts, cauliflower, bok choy, savoy, and numerous others), onions can trigger it as well, along with eggs, spicy foods, citrus, and nuts.

My suggestion is that you start keeping note of what you eat, and when- so that if there is something bothering your little one, you'll have a record of it and be able to easily see a pattern. I had to do this with the youngest, and as it would turn out, the thing that bothered him was citrus.

Also, they can have weird reactions to additives in beverages- like artificial sweeteners. so, be ware.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• yup - when one of my kids was a newborn after a bit she got horrible rashes while I was exclusively breastfeeding and we were able to determine through trial and error that - my baby was reacting to orange juice acidity in my breast milk. Also when she was seven weeks old our pediatrician suggested I stop drinking milk cause of baby's colic pain and when I did that she became constipated for two weeks. I had to take her in every several days being a newborn to see if she was producing stool but just not releasing it. Her body went into a like intestinal shock of no lactose in cow's milk suddenly and for a lengthy time in her that when withdrawn from it she stopped pooing. About two weeks later after no poo she started up again as best Valentine's Day present I ever got!!

Sounds like colic. Colic is food allergy, too gassy at specific times, too much overload of activity, noise at specific times. Try bicyclng legs expl gas.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• A much more common cause of a fussy gassy baby is an oversupply of milk. Problems with oversupply often show up at about 3-6 weeks of age. I'd encourage you to look into ruling this out before eliminating foods from your diet. To see all of the symptoms of oversupply, and how to fix it, go to http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Reactions to foods a mother eats are pretty rare. When mothers are breastfeeding everyone blames her milk for whatever problem the baby has. Everyone becomes a breasfeeding expert and gives the new mother advice. This could just be a one day thing for the baby, unrelated to breastfeeding.

Wait and see how things go. It's not a big deal if your baby is just gassy. It could be oversupply. It could be your baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. If that's the problem then you can use only one breast a feeding, called finish the first breast first.

It can take 2 weeks of eliminating a food from your diet to know if that was it. Just stopping for a day or two won't do it. That's something that should be tried after easier things since it is rare and more difficult to do.

www.kellymom is a good breastfeeding website. You can always call a LLL Leader and get free phone help.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Food allergies in breastfed babies tend to crop up around 4-6 weeks. They're getting such small doses it takes that long to produce a reaction.

But, like a PP said it absolutely could be overactive letdown...

It's really all trial and error. Look into overactive letdown (kellymom.com) and see if that might fit... if not, try a dairy elimination and see if that helps.

If it's nothing severe, just normal gas you really don't have to do anything.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2010