Why do people look down on community college?

Shouldn't people be happy that someone is furthering their education?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• because they are ignorant....they should be happy that the person isn't out on the street begging for handouts and they're making something of their lives.....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't know why? I haven't seen anyone look down on communitly college. I am the first in my family to attend college in about 3 generations and I am going to community college.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't look down on it. For some people, it's what is right for them.

When I graduated HS, my mom tried to talk me into taking the basics at a community college before going to a university. I opted out of that because I wanted the "full experience", i.e., living away from home. Once I had to start paying back my student loans - I realized maybe she had a good point, lol.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Because they're clueless and think it's better to spend more money on something with a better "name" than it is to use money wisely. They are the same people with upside down mortgages and upside down car loans who run up their credit cards getting their nails done and buying lattes. Perhaps if they'd gone to community college and taken an econ class, they'd know better.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• No one asks where you did the first two years of your degree.... they just want to see where you finished up. Heck if you go for 2 yrs then transfer to a reputable 4 yr to finish up... and finish up with less debt than the student next to you. I think YOU are the smarter one!!!

Anonymous

• I think its the same thing as named brand clothing...same thing...just the name on the tag sounds better.

I went to community college but finished up at a major university. B/c I had to to get the degree I wanted. Doesn't make me any better or any worse. But I do have less debt b/c I had a scholarship to the community college ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i dont look down on community college. i just graduated with my associates degree this semester from my local community college & am now transfering to a new college for my bachelors, & i saved a lotta money!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Community College is the key to success for MANY people. It should NEVER be looked down upon. I had to work my way through school. In the beginning all I could afford was an Associates Degree. That got me a 'foot' in the door to getting my bachelors degree. Now I am getting my masters and would be honored to pay it forward and teach my field in a community college or even a high school vocational-technical school. Just not sure I could deal with the unions in the vocational-technical school.. lol

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Good question. I just got accepted to the local community college here, and it seems like there's a stigma attached to it or something. How stupid! I plan to get my associates in science, however long it takes me. My dream is to be an anthropologist, and I'll do whatever it takes to get there, however long it takes. If it takes me 20 years, I'll do it. And starting at a community college is the first step that's right for me. Anyone who thinks it's a lesser form of education is an idiot.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Who looks down on community college? The only people I can think of would be high school kids who want to go away to party party party. After I graduated with a BS in accounting, I learned that I needed computer accounting knowledge. These programs were not available at my university. In order to take the class I had to first take the most basic accounting class the community college offered and I learned more there than I did my senior year. The instructor told us halfway through that many 4 yr graduates come to take ACC 100. I suppose when they can't find jobs after graduation, as was my experience.
    Anonymous