Is my 3 month old eating enough?

When my son was born he weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces. He is currently 3 months old and weighs 12 pounds 7 ounces. Some days he eats 40+ ounces a day, others only 25. This is starting to worry me. Is 12 pounds normal for his age? The doctor said "that's about right" when she weighed him, but for some reason I'm still a little bit worried. I don't know why, I just thought by now he'd be around 14 or 15 pounds.

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies go through phases like this......and sometimes they'll be eating their "normal" amount one feeding and will only have a sip or two the next feeding...its just how they are. As long as the baby is eating, going to the bathroom normally and is acting normal then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If the baby is showing signs of distress, illness, not going to the bathroom or anything other than how he normally acts then you should go straight to the doctor
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• If your baby is giving you 6-8 wet diapers a day then he is eating enough. 12 pounds would have been huge for my LO she didn't weigh that until about 10 mos old. He sounds like he is doing okay.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my son was around 12lbs at 2 months he's now 4 months and 18lbs and one chunky lil man so yes it's normal he's fine if the doctor thought other wise they would tell you
    Anonymous

• as long as you get 6-8 diapers a day, he is FINE.

every baby is different, and that sounds about right for his age. My boys were off the charts- my youngest was almost 17 lbs @ 8 weeks... and was 7 lbs even when he was born. by 10 months he was almost 30 lbs. now he is 2 1/2 and weighs more than my almost 5 year old, and is in a sz 4. He's not chubby- just BIG.
    My dd was almost 8 1/2 lbs at birth, and weighted 17 lbs at a year. she is almost 9, and weighs in at a grand total of 53 lbs. every kid is different.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• 12 lbs at 3 months is a fine weight. Mine were all way under that weight at that age. Usually, the pediatrician will show you the growth chart and where your child is on it, giving the % for his/her age. You can ask to see it at the next appointment. But your child will grow on their own curve and there isn't much you can do to change it at such a young age.

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my 3 mo old was 12lb 15oz and 7lb 10oz at birth

sounds fine
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Babies should gain at least a pound a month. So that would be 9 pounds 9 ounces. Your baby has gained 2 pounds a month. I would be worried that my baby weighed too much.

All three of my sons and my grandson weighed around 17 pounds when they turned a year old.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2010