Culturelle

I took my baby to the ped the other day and he told me to give him culturelle to help his upset tummy. I started giving it to him Wed night and he has been more cranky..screaming fits (hes 6 weeks) and hasn't pooped..I had to use a rectal therm on Fri to get him to go. I called the Doc on Saturday and she said to give it to him for the full week. Has anyone else given this to their baby? I don't know what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he seems worse STOP GIVING IT TO HIM!

and NEVER EVER EVER use anything to get the poop out! do you know how you could damage him?

do the bicycle move with legs - then push one knee to the opposite side and HOLD, then the other side - repeat. do tummy rubs - in a clockwise sweeping motion with heel of hand on the groin and fingers by the belly button rub the tummy!

Anonymous

• you can most definitely SAFELY use infant an infant suppository- they are made of glycerin, they are easy to insert and melt. unless you ram one into his rectum using a plunger, they're fine (Ignore anon- she's being snarky).

the bit about cycling, and rubbing the tummy, etc. is absolutely correct, and works well... you can also lay him tummy down across your lap while rubbing his back, and that works wonders as well.

I have used culterelle, and it works well- it is helping REBUILD the intestinal flora that infant formula destroys. If you give it a chance to work, and then continue using it at half what you are now, it will prevent future problems. It is reprogramming his digestive track to actually USE the food that is going in. GIVE IT A CHANCE TO WORK. It actually takes about 3 full weeks to BEGIN to rebuild the intestinal flora that is destroyed by the cows milk (formula).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Also, if you have questions about Probiotics in general, google it. lots of good info out there!!!

BTW- I'm impressed that your Doc proscribed this, most simply ignore the problem and do NOTHING to help it, outside of giving gas drops. this will have LONG TERM affects, but you can not expect it to work overnight.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Your baby is only 6 weeks and is having this much problems with his digestive system and formula. I agree that anything used rectally carries a great risk.

Your baby needs human milk. Some women have to breastfeed for their baby's health. LLL Leaders and lactation consultants can help with relactation. Whatever problems you had in the past may not even be a problem. You may be able to get milk on the website milkshare until you get a good supply going. You may be able to get milk from a milk bank but it usually costs around $30 an ounce. Breastmilk is liquid gold. You may qualify for reduced fees.
    Anonymous

• It is not unusual or harmful for a breastfed baby to go more than a week between bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I am breastfeeding exclusively. He pooped this morning...I just don't like the screaming cry that he has been having and he seems like he is trying to poop. To clarify I didn't shove the therm up his butt I only stuck the very tip in to take his temperature and stimulate a bowel movement. He just had a couple shots and I wanted to make sure he wasn't running a fever too. He is just VERY gassy. I'm going to keep giving the probiotic and hopefully he starts to be happier. I was also told to stay away from dairy for 5-7 days.
    Anonymous