Motherhood is NOT a popularity contest.

What un-popular (to your family, friends, or kids) choice have you had to make as a mom?

LOL... I expect most of the moms of teens have this covered and then some!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• my mom was very sketchy about my son transitioning to a bed because he is "still a baby". But he seemed ready and he took to the bed right away. He's 21 months old and I always follow his cues. I didnt transition him because I wanted him out of the crib. I am 29, and my mom still considers me her "baby", so her comment didnt make me question the decision at all.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• be a stay at home mom for my three kids. My sils were against it my mom rathered that I not work in my home as a mom.

Too bad my life my decision.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Owl feather we but our 3 year old in a toddler bed at 18 months and she did great !

My parents didn't like that we took her pacifier away when she still wanted it and she is 3 years old .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• "I expect most of the teen moms to have that covered and then some."

Are you serious right now? That wasn't cool at all to say.

Though it wasn't a choice I had, because my kids decided for me they didn't want to, but I didn't breastfeed. My son refused from the beginning and my daughter refused a few days in. A lot of moms find that to be unpopular. Especially the BF activists.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Breastfeeding. My mother didn't breastfeed for more than two weeks with each kid and felt I shouldn't either. At two months she told me to quit and "make my life easier", at four months she told me "why are you doing that formula is just as good", at six months it was "You still haven't quit that", at nine months it was "OMG you are creating a boob obsession", at 12 months when I quit nursing it was, "Good, it isn't natural to breastfeed that long".
    To say the least she was unsupportive about it. I thought it would get better with the other two babies, but it really didn't. She is beside herself that my sil is still nursing her 26month old.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Jazzlikemraz...you twisted her words around....

She said.."LOL... I expect most of the moms of teens have this covered and then some!"

You changed it to...""I expect most of the teen moms to have that covered and then some."
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• stop the party life (un popular with my friends)
    let my son's dad have a chance at being in his life (un popular with my mother)
    use fomula to supplement (un popular with my mother)
    I could go on and on
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I had a repeact planned c-section. Yeah, I'm sorry I did the whole labor thing for 20+ hours to end up with a c-section, I wasn't about to experience it again, I'd rather go in knowing it was happening and the recovery was soooo much faster without being in labor first! I know a lot of people would say I should have done a VBAC, including my mother and my SIL but my body, my choice.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• OP here....

omg jazz... you totally misunderstood me. (i forget there are teen moms on this site... I have never known one in real life so that always slips my mind)

I meant mothers of teen children. Sorry about that confusion.

Anonymous

• Giving my son choices and using natural consequences- the first time I thought my mother was gonna flip about my parenting was when DS was 2 or 3 and refused to put his coat on- it was like 40 degrees out and I said "fine then carry it to the car you're the one whose gonna get cold" my mother was pissed that I didn't make him put it on. She raised us to do exactly what she said how she wanted it done when she said it .
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010