Do you have secrets or tips for restful sleep?

I've noticed many here having sleeping issues. So if you do too, what are your tips for a restful, needful night's rest/sleep? Some may be just exhausted and yet unable for needed rem sleep. I bet some tips would be appreciated! Thank you for any replies.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Health

• have a good nightFunny thing you should ask this. I used to have a terrible time getting restful sleep and I heard that electromagnetic fields can be the cause of poor rest. It was suggested that you have all electric items in your sleep area be at least 6 ft from you while sleeping. I thought that sounded dumb but had nothing to lose so moved everything. I have no idea if it was that or some placebo effect of thinking that it worked but it worked! I now sleep very well and get my much needed REM sleep.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I've had sleep issues all my life.  I've found chamomile tea before bed very helpful but calcium and magnesium about an hour before bed has been really helping me to feel drowsy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my teacher who is in medical filed said to put a bar of soap under ur blanket were ur feet go that helps with restless sleep thy do it at nursing homes
    joannabenjamin

Answer by joannabenjamin at 6:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Glass of wine and a benadryl, works every time.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Calcium/magnesium before bedtime, and passionflower...it's an herb you can buy in pill form at your local health food store.
    Anonymous

• Exercise regularly, but not within 3 hours of going to bed

Don't drink excessive caffiene. I can't drink more than 2 mugs of coffee or else I have terrible sleep. I also don't drink it after noon. Avoid the cycle of drinking more caffiene because you're tired, which in turn affects your sleep later on.

Go to bed and get up at roughly the same time everyday. I find if I get off my regular schedule I don't feel as rested.

Don't nap, or if you do limit the length of time you nap. Napping for more than 20-30 mins makes me feel worse.

Eat well. It will help you feel more energetic and rested in general. If you're eating a lot of junk, sugar and other crap you should expect to be tired. If I eat a bunch of crap I wake up tired in the morning. If I eat well, I don't need as much sleep and I wake up more rested.

If you can't get to sleep, read a book or magazine (not the computer). Makes me sleepy every time.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2010