What should I use for spot carpet cleaning?

I have 3 pets and a 1 year old daughter, so I constantly find stains on my carpet. I was using Resolve to spot clean but I'm hearing I shouldn't even use that. What types do you use, how much and where do you get them?

msfila1980

Asked by msfila1980 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Both of the above suggestions will eventually lead to a sticky residue build up on your carpet. Club soda will take out most water-based spots (food/drink). For large spills, they require actual extraction, so I'd get a wet/dry vacuum ($30 at Home Depot) for those. For oil or grease based spots, you must use a solvent, and that's pretty dangerous for someone who does not have professional training to try to spot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I heard to use shaving cream (cream not gel) and let it sit then pat it (don't rub it or swirl it) with a paper towel or old towel to blot it up

Answer by admckenzie at 1:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Spot Shot. Hands down. I even used it to get black liquid sharpie out of cream colored carpet. and just yesterday, blueberry jam out of a light green rug.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2010