For Atheists

An answer on another question made this one come up in my mind... So here we go...

Hypothetical again here - If you have unquestionable proof there was a God and converted to a Deity based religion...

What religion would you be?

As I see it, the proof that there is A God opens the door for their to be Many Gods, or other higher powers beyond God... Would you choose only the religion that is supported by belief in THAT God? Or would you assume that if there is one there could be others? Or would you want proof of more than one before you could believe in more than one?

So, which religion would you convert to? And why would you choose that one over others?

**Lets try to keep it civil!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh Scientology for sure - just IMAGINE if it turned out they were the ones who had it right all along!!

LOL
    Anonymous

• I don't know that I would convert to any religion. Organized religion, and belief in a higher power are not one in the same. I suppose that if there were irrefutable proof for one higher power, I would assume the possibility of there being more than one. But the mere fact that a higher power exists, does not automatically mean that said higher power is deserving of my worship and praise. So I guess my life wouldn't really change much.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• LOL @ Anon.

Ah, but this is simple. Even if irrefutable proof could be materialized, I would not opt to worship any deity. I would not be able to escape that there did indeed exist, some sort of higher power- but that does not mean that it is worthy of worship. Regardless of what claims are made regarding its omnipresence and capabilities, if it could not personally show its self to me, commanding worship or else... I could not force myself to follow any religiously based path, based on the sheer fact of existence.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Pagan for sure!  I love the reverence for nature and femininity.    I would never ever follow an Abrahamic religion.  It is waaaaaay too restrictive for my free spirit.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would form my own relationship with that specific God. Churches have become way too political and stray more and more away from real relationships with God. It has become a "prove I am a good Christian to this other Christian" type of war, not to mention the politics involoving the way churches are run. (elders, bishops, blah blah blah.)
    Out of many "strict" Christians I know, I have one specific friend who stands up for her beleifs but does not bring it up every time the chance comes. She does not go to church every Sunday because she thinks they are just too bland and she feels that she has a better relationship with God when she worships on her own.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Hard to say. Just because god exists (in this hypothetical) does NOT mean I consider any diety worthy of worship. I would probably remain religion free. I can't follow a religion and be true to myself KWIM??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would be no religion. I would have my personal relationship with whatever god there was proof of and leave it at that.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I imagine that any god would see my heart and my life and tell me I am doing a fine job on my own. And without realizing it, I was already living my life as he/she/it would want me too. I would never vow allegiance to "one" god....as I believe that an all powerful god would never, ever desire allegiance. Simply that we live according to love and light. That would be the best devotion I could and would give to any god.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Paganism, I like how they worship anything associated with nature.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 6:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• theist satanism

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2010