Would you like some FBI With That Net Surfing?

FBI wants records kept of Web sites visited

WASHINGTON--The FBI is pressing Internet service providers to record which Web sites customers visit and retain those logs for two years, a requirement that law enforcement believes could help it in investigations of child pornography and other serious crimes.

While I applaud their efforts to curb the above crimes, I don't think it's right to spy on everyone just to get the bad guys. Link in reply below.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 1:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• FULL STORY HERE

In unrelated news, the use of open proxy servers has risen 1000%.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't think they would be going through everyones files. However if there were an investigation for child porn they could look at yiur records for the last two years. I do believe they should have to obtain a warrant to get (probable cause not just harrassment) but other than that it doesn't bother me

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would think that certain websites would trigger a log to be started, that would make sense to me. If you visit this list of sites (known child porn sites) then it triggers a log to see if it was a mistype or if your an active user. But keeping logs on every person seems crazy and can you imagine how our inernet fees will rise because of this extra information they will have to store?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Nope, doesn't bother me. I hope they bust down on those sites and the people who look at them. I hate just surfing on the net because they tag links with everyday things but it is porn. Like what happened recently was wood stoves. I was looking for a wood stove for my mother and this one site said Amish wood stoves blah blah and I clicked on it yeah flooded my comp with porn. It is very annoying. And those bastards peddling and looking at child porn should be taken out.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I know I'll prrobably get bashed for this, but to be honest - I'd give up my internet privacy if it helped to protect innocent children.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• honestly some days i believe the idea of privacy is an illusion. we think our computers and their logs are safe, but im sure this isnt the only way the govt keeps tabs on us. im not a conspiracy theorist, but with access to all sorts of way sof spying on us, this leap wasn't far to imagine. i dont mind at all if they want to keep track of what my home computer looks at, so long as they dont go putting billboards in my yard announcing my website prefernces. for certain groups of people i think this monitoring should be mandatory (probationary convicts, convicted child molesters etc.) they should always be held accountable for their use of the internet. if they cant be around a school, who is stopping them looking at things online? even if they arent pornagraphic in nature, our kids arent wandering playgrounds naked so imagine theyre use of nonpornographic images. anyhow i kinda feel safer. im breakin no laws, so no worries here
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 4:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010