How do I change my gossiping ways, what else is their to talk about besides what are doing?

I am aiming for a more pure heart,mind and soul.
I cannot get there by clouding the way with gossip. I was raised with my mom gossiping about others. Right now as a stay at home mom all I can find to talk to my husband and my sister about is gossip. Esspecially the way my husband's bff is living.
I know I hate gossip and don't go to church in this town because all this town of 600 does is gossip. Those people run their mouth about everybody and talk to others just to get "dirt" so they can run their mouth even more.
Also is it still gossip if I I tell my husband what his family members are up too...They are on my Facebook, so I tell him what everyones status is. He doesn't communicate much, not even with his own daughter.
So what do I talk about if I don't talk about others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think our words have so much power. The power of life and death. James says that our mouth can be so destructive. It is like a raging fire. We can really hurt people and cut them down by what we say. Even if they never find out, it limits how God can use them, when we undermine them to other people.

Gossip is hard. I know. Especially when we want to see justice in certain situations. But God has shown me that He wants me to use my mouth to encourage people to be who God can make them, and build them up. Even a month or so ago, God was showing me that Satan is an accuser. When I am talking bad about someone (even if they really deserve it, LOL) I am acting like Satan. (ouch!) He told me that He wants me to be like Jesus, who intercedes and prays for us, who tries to draw each of us to God. You know?

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• op here....I meant to say " what people are doing"
    Anonymous

• keep learning about God and draw closer to Him. Your love for God will keep you straight. God doesnt like gossip, think of that, I know that you want to please him.

“Do set a guard, O Jehovah, for my mouth; do set a watch over the door of my lips.”—PSALM 141:3

“In the abundance of words there does not fail to be transgression, but the one keeping his lips in check is acting discreetly.”—PROVERBS 10:19
    Anonymous

• op here....
    Thanks for the scripture, I like these that you have given me and I will remind myself of these when I need to.
    Anonymous

• think about stop using the excuse this town this church as a reason to not attend church. Finding a church that is away from your town is allowed. Maybe that will bring you a peace in your heart. Walk away from gossip immediately. Staying and being quiet while it goes on leads others to believe you approve of gossip and the bad talk it's of. Stay and joining in conversation of gossip siding one side against the other leads others to believe that you are fueling the fire of the hurt of gossip.

Support your friends in their hardships by being a most respectful friend. Walk away from those that stir and cause trouble.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Talk about what you are doing, or want to do. Talk about books, music, movies and other interests. There is so much more to talk about than other people. Does your husband asks what everyone on your FB page is up to? If he doesn't,don't offer. If you feel you must talk about others, say only good things. Focus on Christ and ask Him to bridle your tongue and He will! I'll pray that you overcome this.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• The more I try and submit to God's convictions, the more I want to talk about what God is doing in my life instead of what other people are doing.

There is that verse in Philippians, that says, "And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter. Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." (4:8)

If we fill our minds with good things, then good things will naturally come out our mouths. Also pray for people you want to gossip about, and God will slowly change your heart where you will begin to really feel compassion and a desire for them to do well.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that I know how you feel, and this is what God has shown me. Love ya.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Read a newspaper and discuss world events. You can read them online. This is one of my favorites: http://www.guardian.co.uk/

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• op here....
    -------------------

Your welcome. I know that sometimes some habits are hard to stop but just keep your faith and keep praying. You'll be fine.

Dora
    Anonymous

• BOY! Everyone here has given me such GOOD ideas and I really do appreciate this and your guiding me away from something that I know dirties my spirit.
    Thank you for this! I will definatly use all advice that has been given to me!
    Anonymous