45%? Can you believe this?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091216/METRO01/912160374/Nearly-half-of-Detroit-s-workers-are-unemployed

The mayor of Detroit estimates that the real unemployment rate in his city is now somewhere around 45-50 percent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard that recently on tv also. Amazing. That wouldn't include people that are retired, disabled, and people that don't want to work like SHAMS.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Yes, I have heard something similiar. They are teh hardest hit from the car situation. American made cars have been on the decline for years...they just aren't as good at affordable prices...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Gailll, that was a typo.....right? SHAMS?
    Anonymous

• YES WE CAN!!!!!!!! Isn't that one of Obama's things?
    Anonymous

• Yeah thats what I heard back in Dec. I also heard that the real number for the whole US if you include those who have stopped receiving UE, those who have stopped looking all together, and those who are working significantly less hours than before UE is 17%. “The real unemployment rate released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics is 16.7% -- a full 7 points higher than the officially reported rate." Michael J. Wilson Bureau of Labor Statistics

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• So much for that job creating stimulus. How many jobs does the admin say they've created and/or saved? I forgot cause the number seems to change daily.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• SIL and her hubby live in Flint. She is bilingual and certified to teach in MI and many other states k-12. The best gig she can get is sub-teaching for emergencies.

It's so bad there. People who are able to leave are gone. Homes are now worth only hundreds of dollars instead of 100s or 10s of thousands. I'm not one bit surprised.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Yes! My son just moved home from Detroit (Marysville to be exact) because of that exact problem.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Our wonderful progressive, Canadian socialist governor put this state into a recession LOOOONNNGGGG before the rest of the country. Kind of warms your heart to know that she is advising Obama on job creation, doesn't it?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Hey, ARE sahm's included in the unemployment rate? How exactly do they calculate that? I mean, I would hate to think I'm listed as "unemployed", because I am choosing not to work.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2010