Are you prepared for the new America?

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_03/b4163032935448_page_4.htm

Princeton University economist Alan S. Blinder estimates that 22% to 29% of all current U.S. jobs will be offshorable within two decades.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there should be laws that if a majority of yourbusiness is done here than you must have a majority of your business HERE. To follow OUR laws, labor and otherwise.

What bugs me is these large corporations that are making BILLIONS do not care that they are hurting America by sending the jobs overseas. and NOW they are going to be able to push candidates that will work on THEIR behalf and NOT on OUR behalf

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My husband has already been out of work due to this. We live in a small town, and one of the largest companies here have laid off/fired over half of their employees. My husband was one that just got laid off. Everyone in this town is on edge right now because a lot of people will loose everything if they take this business and move it.
    Anonymous

• You cannot force anyone to do business anywhere... yet. Thats stupid. Why not make it feasable to own and run a business here and you wouldn't see them defecting to other countries. It's not rocket science.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Study: CEOs rewarded for outsourcing

Execs at biggest outsourcing firms got bigger raises than their counterparts at other firms.
    August 31, 2004: 4:51 PM EDT
    By Andrew Stein, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The CEOs of the top 50 U.S. companies that sent service jobs overseas pulled down far more pay than their counterparts at other large companies last year, according to a study released Tuesday.

The top executives at the firms that use outsourcing the most got a 46 percent pay increase. By contrast, the average CEO, including those at outsourcing companies, saw their pay rise 9 percent, according to a study by the Institute for Policy Studies and United for a Fair Economy, two left-leaning think tanks.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/31/news/economy/outsourcing_pay/index.htm
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I can see that happening. It will happen if the govt doesn't get its paws out of business.

Businesses are in business to MAKE MONEY. If the feds don't stop hampering that via taxes and regulation then businesses will leave the US.

I am scaling back this year. We have to come in under $250,0000 in GROSS sales because of the new surtax the nitwits in my state voted on. My cutback will affect wages and taxes to the state and to the feds. I am sick of it though. I work my butt off only to be penalized for it. Crap, pure crap!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I thought that that many was already overseas. Somehow I believe that number is lacking.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 11:50 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Special- think about BIG business and how they manipulate/avoid corporate taxation by moving their tax base off shore to low/no tax countries. If I were a sbo in the US and forced to make concessions like you mentioned, I'd be angry that big business is able to successfully avoid making the same difficult decisions. This is just another example of the US being penny wise and $$$$ foolish. In response to the question, yes, I believe that more and more jobs will be moved. Lower labor $$$ and no benefit packages to contend with. IMO, we are on our way to becoming a 2 class system. Those with well paid, skilled, not readily shipped or robot trained, service industry jobs and those who live in poverty.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2010