How can I get my son to stop being afraid of the wind?

My LO is 5. Last spring we were out and about and it was windy. A super strong gust came and blew my son out into the middle of the road, and I had to fight agaisnt it to get him. Luckily he wasn't hurt, but has been absolutely terrified of the wind since, even a small breeze. I worked really hard to try to calm his fears through out the summer/ fall........we spent a lof of days in doors. I cant do that again.... I NEED to get him over this but I dont know how! ... I have straight up explianed to him that it was a once in a life time thing, that he can hold on to me and be safe, even pretending he has lead boots on or that he can grow roots like a tree into the ground to stay in place..... He is a VERY bright kid, and understnads what I am saying, but he is VERY stubborn. Any advice??

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 3:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him the angels/birds/trees(or whatever you can think of ) just sneezed really hard that day. LOL Or tell him something like "nature has a cold and can't stop coughing and sneezing". When you sneeze mommy gives you a tissue. Maybe he can give "nature" or the birds or whatever a tissue when it's windy out you can hang it on the tree LOLLLLL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 3:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• how about buying him a windmill, kite or other wind themed items that he might enjoy, you could start indoors with a fan or hold it out the window so he can see what it does. get wind chimes or have him make windchimes, and also those nylon things that hang and blow around in the wind (sorry cannot remember what they are called) the dollar store has tons of these things, let him pick some out and hang them on a back porch and then let him watch to see what happens. they have the colored twirly things my kids love those.

I know how nasty some gusts can be we have those several times a year and it can be scary to a lil one.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• He may need some brief counseling. His anxiety may be considered bad enough to be a phobia. It sounds like you have tried the obvious things.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010