possible cavity.. and I'm pregnant!

Ok so here's my situation. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and think I may have a cavity. Last time I went to the dentist while I was pregnant, they told me they couldn't do X-rays because of the harmful effects on the fetus. Can the dentist tell if I have a cavity without an x-ray (one of the front teeth.) If I am leaving the state permanently in a month, can they even fix the cavity before I leave or will it wait until I move? Can they even fix a cavity while pregnant? I would call the dentist but it's Sunday so I'd like to get some ideas of what my options are before tomorrow. Thanks ladies!

alinker

Asked by alinker at 3:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Health

• They can't do anything til after baby. I have been in agonizing pain with my wisdom teeth needing to be pulled and can't til after. I would suggest sensitive toothpaste in the mean time.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I don't know who told you that you can't get a xray while your pregnant. I had one when i had my dentist exam.. if they know your pregnant they will give you extra protection from the rays.. which is uncomfortable but works.. i guess... and since your pregnant if it is actually a cavity they should fit you in immediately because your oral health is so important while your pregnant because it affects your baby too.. they will be able to tell and they will be able to fix it.. if in fact its a cavity.. it might just be sensitivity..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• ps. getting your wisdom teeth in is a lot different then a decaying tooth.. and most of the time they have to knock you out to take your wisdom teeth out.. with a cavity it is much simpler.. its possible they wouldn't even give you a shot of Novocaine for it.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I am aware that the 2 are different thank you. Last time I was pregnant my dentist told me they can't do the x-rays. Also my prenatal specialist told me they can in emergency situations but they can't fully protect the child and can cause problems that wouldn't be realized til later in the childs life. At the very least. I guess ask your own dentist and see. They may be able to diagnose a cavity without x-ray but probably still won't be able to fix it til after.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I'm a dental hygienist and we work on pregnant patients. You might need a release from your OB-GYN doctor. Xrays can be done after the 2nd trimester if they are absolutely necessary. We double drape pregnant patients.
    Yes, the dentist can detect decay without an xray. You can have fillings done when pregnant. I clean pregnant women's teeth and the dentist I work with does fillings and extractions on pregnant women.
    Sensitive toothpaste will not do anything for you. Sensitive tooth paste is designed for root exposure. When some people have periodontal disease the roots become exposed. Roots are porous. Sensitive toothpaste seals the porous areas on the roots.
    I posted an article in the Advice for moms group a couple of weeks ago about the importance of maintaining good dental health during pregnancy. Poor dental health during pregnancy can be harmful to your baby.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 4:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010