Autism in twins.

can you have identical twins one with autism and one without? if they have identical DNA would that not rule out genetics? No vax drama just a question of twins and autism and the possibility of one having it with the other not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Different studies have shown that if one identical twin has autism then there is a 63-98% chance that the other twin will have it. For fraternal twins, the chance is between 0-10% that both twins will develop autism. The chance that siblings will be affected by autism is about 3%. This demontrates a strong genetic component.
    Anonymous

• I dont think there is a genetic link to autism-- matter of fact I'm wrting a paper for a friend LOL and I know there is not I just read a research article in NEJM it specifically stated there is not DNA link --it is something that happens along the way in the pregnancy - they have not pin pointed exactly what--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Also there are some forms of autism that appear to be associated with other chromosomal abnormalities, such as Fragile X syndrome or brain abnormalities such as congenital rubella syndrome. A large number of people with these disorders are also diagnosed with autism.
    Anonymous

• MELRN- there scientific evidence indicates a strong genetic component to autism. It may not be the only cause, but I really don't think how someone can claim that gentics isni't invovled. As someone else pointed out, the sibling of an affected child also would be affected is 3-6%.. This incidence is about 100 times greater than the rate at which autism affects unrelated people in the population.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2010