Dreft, other baby laundry detergents, or woolite detergent ok for baby skin?

For my son I always used dreft for his clothes and any of my delicate clothes - I wanted to do everything right. Now I am ready to have my second child and I feel a little more relaxed, but is it being too relaxed if I use Woolite detergent for my delicates and my new baby's clothes. Dreft is a bit pricey and I know they make other baby safe/sensitive detergent. My question is: Is it alright to use woolite even on my new baby's sensitive skin, and if not is there another baby detergent that is just as good as Dreft (also alright for my delicate clothes)?

Lori43bg

Asked by Lori43bg at 5:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly think it is different for every child.

My kids have no skin issues at all and I washed their clothing in Tide just like hubby and my clothing.

Anonymous

• Honestly, if you want to try it, try it. Wash a few outfits with the other detergent. If baby doesn't get a reaction while wearing those for a few days, you're probably fine.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 5:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It doesn't have to be Dreft. I would use whatever "Free and Clear" detergent was cheapest, and waited until at least a year to switch it up or even use softener.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 5:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I never used special detergent for my kids clothes. I just used a regular perfume and dye free kind and washed out clothes together. My kids have very sensitive skin (one could ONLY wear cloth diapers, all disposables gave him a rash) both can't have any exposed elastic against their skin etc. but they had no problems with clothes washed in regular detergent.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Dreft is one of the worst detergents out there. Woolite isn't much better. It really bugs me that these companies tout their stuff as so gentle, when in reality they're full of caustic fillers that do more harm then good, and damage your washer, clothes, and even your body, over time.
    Anonymous

• I never use dreft or anything like it. I use " ALL, free and clear". After 2 kids never has any issues.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i use all can not stand any other kind lots of ich
    joannabenjamin

Answer by joannabenjamin at 6:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I used whatever detergent I used on the rest of the family's clothes. Neither of my children had any adverse to regular detergent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I always used regular detergent (Tide) for my baby's clothes - never had any bad reactions. If they had, I wouldn't have used a baby detergent, I would have switched to a regular perfume/dye free detergent - much better than Dreft! I can't stand the smell of that stuff.

Answer by missanc at 10:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Thanks everyone, I know it was kinda a silly question. Needed the advice - it was all helpful.
    Lori43bg

Answer by Lori43bg at 4:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2010