Looking For Good Biblical Stories...Please Help

Im on a mission to read the full NIV Bible in a year. Although i made the comitment to read it for myself i kinda would like my BF to Join however he shys away from the bible becuse of all the crazy names and such. so i have decided to read it out loud for the both of us (and the litte boy in my tummy) Just to open the door and get him interested and comfotable with reading or folowing along in his own bible. so my question is Do you guys know of any stories that will interest him.? i kno Chronicles is def not one of the books he will enjoy(lol since im having a tough time with it myselg) if you can give me stories or characters and i can look up the verses/stories on my own.
Thanx i can wait to read what you all come up with

MinnieMoni

Asked by MinnieMoni at 5:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know i would buy a bible book of stories to read along side the bible. It will explain thing in a basic way but you could back it up with the bible to make sense of it. Hehe Before i went through my sons book of stories with him i read them myself it was amazing how much ild forgotton over the years.
    kalada

Answer by kalada at 5:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• http://christianity.about.com/od/biblestorysummaries/Bible_Story_Summaries_Old_and_New_Testament_Bible_Stories.htm

i googled 'bible stories'..and this site gives summaries (plus scripture reference) for several stories found in the bible. just click on each one for scripture..you can read the scriptures from the biblical account, and the summary to better understand what's going on. also, there are a few questions/answers after each. (or at least for the few i clicked on)
    good luck and happy reading!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I just asked my hubby what his favorite Bible stories are, and he said all of them. He said that right now he is really enjoying the stories about the life of Peter. He recommends the stories of David and Goliath, Gideon-- he just said he loves "seeing God do crazy things like that."

Basically most men relate to and enjoy reading about the life of David. 1 and 2 Samuel. It begins with the prophet Samuel, and the first king Saul, and moves into the life of David. It is really good stuff. Great battles, victories, miracles, manly men, tempting women, bad decisions, etc. It would make a great Hollywood epic! LOL.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• What Cinnamon said..and Samson! Most men love that story.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• instead of reading the Bible front to back try reading it along with a program called "The great adventure" by Jeff Cavins. Even if you are not Catholic it is a wonderful bible study! it helps to explain the different books and how they all fit together. You might be able to find a protestant version if you look around.
    The book of Tobit is super exciting with lots of adventure and miracles and even romance.
    Anonymous

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i really love the Tower of Bable in Genesis 11 and all of Daniel's life (creepy giant hand, lions den, & burning ppl, cant go wrong!). i agree that Samson's a great story and David too...as well as all of Joseph's story (starts in Genesis 33, but gets best in 37). DH says his favorite is Moses' life & the Exodus (he says its "kick-ass" haha).

Song of Solomon may be nice to read as a couple, tho it can be very confusing at times haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I have an NIV study Bible that outlines a course of reading along with information and questions that help relate the story to current life/personal stuff. I see lots of suggestions related to OT stuff... I guess it depends what you are trying to get out of these readings...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• I would suggest a children's bible story book. None of the stories in the bible end well--or happily--and a children's bible will weed out all of the gore and bloodshed and gloss over the violence and perversion. Somebody always gets murdered or sacrificed or betrayed or any number of unpleasant things in those stories. They aren't appropriate to read to a grown man, let alone a fetus! I advise against it. I read the bible thru from cover to cover several times. That's why I'm an atheist!!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2010