Tummy time at 3 months!

Any tips on this? My baby, when put on her tummy on a flat surface, doesn't do much. Just kind of lays there.

But when I was at the doctor and the doctor put her on her tummy and held her feet, my baby scooted all the way up the doctors table, like three feet! I was amazed.

So... tips? stories? advice? everything helps!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When she's on her belly lay in front of her and call her name. Shake rattles or play music so that she'll look up and try to move around. Just get her attention with something she likes. Even if it's just looking at your smiling face. She'll do more when she sees something she enjoys.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• While in prone position put her arms under her so she's resting on her elbows. Can also be on dad's chest cuz it's flat. Entertain by lying on da floor w her. Get her small toys that light up n play music to entertain her.
    2nd exercise, while in supine position move her hips to the side and help the rest of her body follow thru w the motion.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Just let her lie on her tummy til she gets angry (you will know!!) Yes she can push against the doctors hands and scoot, but tummy time is actually about strengthening the neck and back muscles. I used to put a mirror beside them so they could look at themselves and the room, but apart from putty her down there, there is nothing else you need to do.
    Also if she grumps alot, and many babies hate tummy time, try stripping her off first, my babies all loved being naked... hope it doesn't still apply now they are teens LOL!
    Good Luck Momma
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Also keep in mind that lots of holding can make up for less tummy time. When you are holding baby in an upright position they are also strengthening neck and back muscles. the main idea is to have them doing things other than laying flat on their backs or in a seat like a car seat, bouncy seat or swing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• oh i hold her a ton, shes my favorite
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Try doing tummy time on your chest or your husbands. My husband would lay our daughter on his chest so she was facing him. She loved this and would lift her head to look at him. Just an idea.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2010