how can I get my son to stop biting when nursing?

I have tried to get him to stop by ending the feeding. I dont think he knows he is doing it because he isnt biting hard. He bites jus enough for a sharp pain. any advice would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your son amy have thrush if his tongue is white, if its not, hes fine.
    DONT FLICK YOUR SON FOR BITING.
    he does not know he is doing it, and doesnt do it on purpose.
    hurting your child when he doesnt understand will NOT solve anything.
    my son is 7 months now, but at 5 months he started with the biting. i talked to a pediatrician who told me what she did was everytime he bites, tell him firmly "no". DONT shout. just firm. and take him off. end the feeding until next time. no matter if he just started or not.
    my son continued for about a week or so. it wasnt easy and very painful.
    but he hasnt bitten me since!!!
    try it and let me know please.
    but NEVER DISCIPLINE YOUR BABY. HE WONT UNDERSTAND. IT'LL ONLY CAUSE CONFUSED PAIN. PLEASE DONT DO IT.
    try my advise and email me if you like for any more questions.
    krisew90@yahoo.com
    good luck mommi!!!
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Every time he does it lightly flick his cheek, or slip your finger into the side of his mouth to release the suction. It has to be every time so that he knows what is getting that reaction.

Answer by Bmat at 5:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• ohhhh i remember those days lol, normally it happened if they were falling asleep, i kept an eye on them and as i noticed they were going to relax and that jaw was going to come down i would slide my finder between their teeth so they couldnt close and i could get the nipple out safely. If they are awake when it happens look right at baby and say "ouch!" normally that gets their attention, after you have done it a few times they get the idea.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Baby can't bite when he is actively nursing as his tongue covers his bottom teeth. With a little observation you will probably be able to predict when he is going to bite down. Watch for him to stop eating and take him off before he bites.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• He's not biting. You have thrush. Contact your dr and his and start treatment right away before the pain and infection gets worse. Babies cannot bite and suckle at the same time. When they bite it's a one time chomp not a contant chewing sensation. What you're feeling is the pain from the yeast infection. It can feel like the baby's teat are scraping you, or ground glass, or cause a burning sensation. Your nipples may be red or bright pink or may even have a white splotch or two. Look for white dots or creamy patches in your baby's mouth.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I agree - babies are too young to understand discipline. It will just confuse and likely upset them! I don't think there is much you can do - you could definitely try saying a firm NO each time but I know someone who had a real problem with this and she ended up having to pump...good luck! It is true that if he's biting he isn't actively nursing so maybe just end the feeding because he might be more interested in biting on something - especially if he's teething....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2010