Help my baby's sick

My 16 month old has been throwing up all day he's unable to keep anything down, even a sip of ginger ale he throws right up. He keeps telling me he's hungry or asking to nurse but anything I give him just upsets his stomach ... I feel so horrible telling him no :(. Is there anything else I should be doing, when should I get worried (like ER worried, doc's is closed), please help, I'm not sure what to do?!

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he has been throwing up all day I would at least call the er and see what they think! But my answer is pedialyte and crackers! Even if he throws it back up you want him to have something to throw up! I hope he gets better soon!!!
    lovie04256

Answer by lovie04256 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Give him literally 1 tbsp of water or pedialyte and wait 15 minutes. If he holds it down, give him another tbsp. Slowly, slowly build it up so he has some hydration. That is the most important thing right now. If he cannot hold down that small amount of liquid call the ped and the nurse or doc on call will phone you back with instructions.

Hope he feels better soon!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• If you are still breastfeeding, breastmilk is way better than pedialyte. Breastmilk is considered a clear liquid. You can just nurse him, that is the best thing for him and best way to keep him hydrated. If he is lethargic or stops peeing take him to the ER.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• You should still be able to call your pediatrician. There should be a doc on call.....if not, I would get a new one.

I agree that if he becomes lethargic or stops peeing then get him to the ER.

Good luck....my son had the 7 day diarrhea bug twice when he was a baby and WOW that was fun! I feel your pain :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't give him pop at this age.. bad for them
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• breastfeed him if he is asking for it. this is soothing as well as nutrition. the soothing part may outweigh the throwing up after ward part. and you never know how much nutrition is being retained. fluids are important, very important!
    good luck..hope he is better now!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2010