whats best for your baby to have your last name or the dads?

im pregnant and single and im not sure what to do when it comes to do about the babys last name it will be born on augs thanks if anyone can help me out

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• THEY SAY ITS NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE THE FATHERS UNLESS UR MARRIED
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 5:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• In my opinion, it's easier for the kid to have the same last name as the parent they live with and who will be taking care of them. That way when someone calls and asks for "Mrs. So-and-so" going just by your kid's last name, people will know who they're talking about.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think it really depends on your situation. Is the dad going to be around? Is he a good man or is he going to not be around much or help out? I was married when I had my son....so his name is his father's. We are divorced and his dad is barely around....sees him 4 times a year and barely calls and I wish my son had my maiden name as his last name...thankfully it is at least his middle name.

And at this point there would only be two ways to get a name change (at least until my son is old enough to choose himself, which is what I will do) 1) have his father give up his parental rights or 2) just get his permission for the legal name change, but he keeps his rights. And even though he is rarely around I know the jerk wouldn't agree to either, so even though I have sole custody it's out of my hands.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I dont know who "they" are but it is very normal to do either, my son had his dads name and we got married a year later. My SIL gave her sone her last name and never saw the father again. it all really depends on what feels right to you. you could give your child a last name that no one on either side of the family had and no one would stop you.

I would base it on the involvement of the father, if this is a guy who is around and wants to part of this childs life then go ahead and give the baby his name if that feels right to you.

Asso some people will try and say if you dont give baby your name you will have problems, this is untrue, it is very common for mothers to have a different last name then their child and it will not cause you problems.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my oldest got my last name because the father was not around while I was pregnant.

my second got his dad's last name even though we weren't married yet. My now husband had to sign a paper saying he was the father and that it was OK for him to have his last name.

Anonymous

• if youre not married i wouldnt give the baby the fathers last name

my daughter has my last name, i am a single mom, and its soooo much easier!! no explaining why the names are different, its just less hassle! besides, i didnt/dont wanna give the guy any satisfaction..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I am not married, but my boys have their fathers last name.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 6:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• If you plan to marry this guy I would give the baby his last name. If you don't see it working give the baby your name to avoid problems later on.
    Anonymous

• : newmommyjazz
    wana swtch off the cap lock? why are you YELLING

and I would go with whatever is legal and best for your kids future OP
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• is your child's father in the picture at all? if not, I would give him your last name.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2010