Did you go to college without knowing what you wanted to do, or did you wait until you were sure about your career?

I've waited four years to finally start college. I can't tell you how much crap people have given me in these four years. I just didn't know what I wanted to do right out of high school, I didn't want to waste my money (or my parents' money, for that matter). I know far too many people that have started in a program and dropped out because it wasn't right for them. Why go to school if you don't have even a general idea what you want to do?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When I went to college I had no clue what I wanted to do. But I didn't have any choice in the matter, my parents basically made me go. I have a degree in business management, that I have never used, and have no intentions of using. I guess it's nice to have it as a back up in case anything should happen and I couldn't be a sahm anymore, but it's not what I would want to do for the rest of my life.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I went to college knowing what I wanted to do but I changed my mind about half way through the program. At that point, it was just too late for me to switch majors. As long as the person wants to further their education beyond a 4 year degree, it really doesn't matter what you get your undergrad degree in. Most of my law professors were not law majors in undergrad. I agree that you should wait until you are pretty sure you know what you want to do and actually find people that work in that profession and ask them what they took in school.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• The first time I thought I knew what I wanted to do, and after a year into it and talking to the dept profs about it, I decided it wasn't for me. It took 15 years to go back, and this time I started out with a general idea of what I wanted to do and narrowed it as I took some of the classes in terms of what specialty. Both times, I've watched dozens and dozens of "I'll decide when I get there" types come and go, spend a ton of money on random classes with a lousy GPA and then drop out.

I'm not saying nobody makes it through starting that way, but it definitely puts the odds against them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I went without having a clue as to what I wanted to do. The first two years you just take your basics any way. College is a great place to find yourself, what your good at and what you enjoy. I changed majors 3 times. I worked my way through school, so some semesters I couldn't go full time. It took me 5 and a half years to graduate, but I'm very glad I started straight out of high school. Life gets too complicated after you start having a finally to go back and really focus on school.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I always knew what I wanted to do when I grew up, so I went to college right after high school with my goal in mind.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I started out as a forensics major and changed majors my 2nd year to elementary education. I think that you won't truly know what you will like until you take a class her and there it helps with the choice.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Also even though i changed majors I still graduated in 3.5 years.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Never.Never.Never.Never go to college without a passion to follow. Going to college without a passion to major in is a waste of time and money. College is schooling to expand your knowledge on something you truely love. Which will lead to a job in that career afterwards. If you go to college for something you're not passionate about, especially if it doesn't land you a good job afterward you're wasting time and money. So if it took you four years to go to school for something you're passionate about, then more power to you. People are under the impression that college is NEEDED and it isn't. Unfortunately for some business' it is, regardless of what you major in. However, in reality it isn't needed unless you're majoring in a field you're passionate about. Regardless if it's environmental studies or to become a nerosurgeon. It's something that will make you ultimately happy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I have a plan and a goal set so I will be getting my BA and moving to Japan!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2010