Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you start the process if you want your ex to give up his parental rights?

im pregnant and single and want to have full custody of the baby thanks if anyone can help

Answer Question

Asked by joanna7701 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • I wouldn't do that, I believe if he gives up his parental rights he also doesn't have to pay you child can most likely still get full custody...why would you want to cut the father of your child out of your child's life??

    Answer by gramsmom at 6:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • He has to be willing to give up his parental rights, if not then you can get custody he will get visitation of some kind and have to pay child support.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • If you are married (you say ex and in most states you can't get divorced if you are married) then it would have to be part of the divorce. The court probably won't do it unless there is reason to believe you will be able to have plenty of money without support. The court doesn't want you going on food stamps or Medicaid.

    If you aren't married you need to file for custody and support as soon as you are out of the hospital. He can file for custody and support from you if he gets there first. Then as the process goes along find out if you can get him to terminate his rights. You will still have to have a good job and $$$.

    That's the way it was in my state.

    Answer by Gailll at 6:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • It is easier as far as the courts go if you are married to somebody else who wants to adopt the child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • Does he WANT to give up his parental rights? I mean if he wants to be a father, don't deny your child that. If he WANTS to, then you need to check with the courts and find out the process.

    Answer by KairisMama at 6:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • First you need to ask him. Go get a lawyer

    Answer by louise2 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • why do you not want your chidl to have a chance at having a father?

    Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 6:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • Remember that means he has absolutely no obligation for life towards that child. That means no child support, no visitation rights, nothing. However, if you truely want to do this. Then you go to the court and you file for full custody. You cannot force him to give up his rights, that has to be his choice and his alone. You can only file for full custody without visitation rights. However, he would need to participate in this process. Everything will be investigated. If he isn't seen as a harmful, neglectful, or otherwise bad person/parent then he may get rights to your child. You have to talk to the court about what you want and see what can be done. Get a lawyer.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • It doesn't work like that. You can't just sever his parental rights bc you don't like him or think he's not going to be a good dad. He has rights just like you have rights.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

  • Depends on the state you live in. Only you know whether he is a good influence for your child or not.. If he is abusive , an alcoholic or into drugs that sort of thing and the two of you are not married.. I guess my first question would be, does he know you are pregnant and if he does, does he know the baby is his. If he doesn't know about the pregnancy and you def. don't want him in the baby's life, then just don't tell him.. when the baby is born say you don't know who the father is and don't list him as the father on the birth certificate.., don't file for child support. or medicaid either cause they will make you name the father. If he knows and wants to be involved.. I then suggest you get a lawyer and fast. Good luck hun.. I have been in your shoes so to speak.. my ex was a nightmare.. and def. not someone I wanted in my chid's life.. if I could back I would have never told him about the baby in the first place.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.