My toddler is suddenly afraid of the bathtub...

My 17 month old LOVED baths until a few days ago.We let her aunts give her baths sometimes so we aren't sure if something happened that they aren't admitting to but to us this is out of no where. She is terrified and throws a fit. What can we do to help her remember that bath time is fun so we can quit bathing her in the kitchen sink?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would demand that they tell you what happened because SOMETHING did happen. Try getting in the tub with her and play with her in the tub a few times, and don't allow others to give baths anymore unless you have to.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• try toys or bath tub paints and show her that nothing can hurt her by you getting in with her or just her watching you be just fine..my dd was the same and up and out of nowhere..and when we could get her back in she wouldnt stay in after the water was off..she was afraid of the drain..its probly just a phase..good luck.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• btw..just because she all of a sudden terrified of the bath doesnt mean that something happened like the first post said..just ask, and if they say nothing happened then nothing happened.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would ask again each separate person who was there. If you don't get answers that say something happened or you do, it could have just been that the bather didn't put water on baby's head for shampoo as gently as you do - just don't let someone wash baby anymore.

That's probably the only way you'll feel better.

And at 17 months baby really is still a baby with new likes and loves coming at the instant of a blink.

If you have to leave baby again, which you should sometime do, make it after bathtime plus in your home where a camera a nanny cam can be set u.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• When my son was 13 months old he was afraid of the bath too. I just got in with him for about a month or so and one day I didnt get in and all is well now!
    Luciens_Mom

Answer by Luciens_Mom at 6:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Just because she now hates the bath does not mean something happened. Both of mine have had a love/hate relationship with baths and showers. I just cleaned them screaming and was quick about it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my son who used to love to bathe suddenly would cry hysterically when i would wash his hair. he previously was fine with water being poured on his head and running down his face. he used to cry bloody murder everytime i washed his hair so i just went and got the hairwash cap and made him wear it around the house for a couple of days, would take him to the mirror and he would laugh because he looked like a flower and then i just led him into the bath and poured water when he was not looking and he loved the way the water went around him instead of his face he was absolutely fine. used the cap for a couple of months and then went back to the regular bath routine.
    i suggest u give her a bath in the kitchen for a while and let her get over her fear then get her something new to lead her back into the bathroom.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Get in with her. Works wonders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Talk to the aunt. and tell her to tell you what really happened. that your daughter is terrified to get a bath now. And she wasn't before. Something obviously happened. I hate to tell you this but I have three ideas of what could of happened. to your little girl. two are two types of accidents, and the other one is bad news. gl in you finding out why your daughter is afraid of taking a bath .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2010