what should i do??

My one year old has a fever of 100.2 he is really sleepy but wont take a nap. He cries when we put him down but is really fidgetty. I gave him motrin earlier, but it didn't seem to help. What should I do? Do I need to take him in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give your Dr an after hours call. but generally speaking this is not a high temp for a 1 year old. i was always told to do motrin for one dose then wait the amount of time the bottle says and give tylenol next and keep going back and forth.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I agree it isn't a high temp, just make sure that he is hydrated and make sure it doesn't go up.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• yeah go back and forth motrin then tylenol that works great...if he is getting sick he prob don't want you to put him down just grab a chair and hold him and love on him...try not to cover him up too much so that he don't get too hot. And also if he don't want to lay down that could mean his ears are hurting try to make an appt. for tomorrow if it keeps up.
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Presence of a fever means your child has an infection, usually caused by a virus. Most fevers are good for sick children and help the body fight infection. Use the following definitions to help put your child's level of fever into perspective:

100°-102°F (37.8° - 39°C) Low grade fevers: beneficial, desirable range
    102°-104°F (39 - 40°C) Mild fever: still beneficial
    Over 104°F (40°C) Moderate fever: causes discomfort, but harmless
    Over 105°F (40.6°C) High fever: higher risk of bacterial infections
    Over 106°F (41.1°C) Very high fever: important to bring it down
    Over 108°F (42.3°C) Dangerous fever: fever itself can harm brain

You don't want to give anything to lower the fever so the body can fight any possible infection.
    There is no reason to call anyone or go anywhere unless your doctor has instructed you to do otherwise.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Call your doctor. It could get worse before it gets better and I have to say the worst question ever asked by my dd's doctor is why didn't you call sooner?
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 7:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Most docs don't really get anxious about 100.2. I agree with alternating the tylenol and motrin but if your child is active and eating/drinking ok then I wouldn't worry.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Our Dr. said don't treat the fever until it goes over 100...you want the body to do what it needs to fight the fever on its own.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2010