Sugar water?

While at work today, I saw a mother give her 3 month old daughter (I asked how old she was) an 8 oz. bottle of sugar water. She asked me to fill it the bottle up with water, so I did. Then I watched her pour a packet of sugar into it. So I KNOW what was in that bottle. What I don't know is this: why, why, why would you give that to your baby? Could someone please enlighten me??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sugar water is ok. i gave it to my newborn. it was from the hospital. you have no clue why that child may need it. you should keep your nose out of it
    Anonymous

• Because she wanted to give her baby constipation? Or maybe she wanted to be sure she gets her baby off to an unhealthy start in life? Or maybe her baby has a low blood sugar condition. Probably the only one who knows the answer would be her and her doctor (that is, if she consulted with the dr about this).
    Anonymous

• Babies under 4 months should only have human milk or formula. Sometimes they give sugar water in the hospital to sick babies or babies with blood sugar problems. It used to be given to healthy newborns but it is no longer supposed to be.

She was probably giving her baby sugar water so she didn't have to buy formula. Poor baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Sugar water helps colic. Also, the hospital GAVE me little bottles of sugar water for my son when he was born. It calms them down. So she was probably doing you a favor.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 7:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• People are pretty ignorant about sugar water. It isn't recommended. HOWEVER, sadly, I know some parents do it when they are trying to stretch their formula. That is the only "legitimate" reason there is, and obviously, it's not a good one. When your baby is screaming and you don't have formula, I guess it seems okay. I think it's sad when there isn't enough food for a baby.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• So I googled you question and it states that sugar water will help with constipation!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 8:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• we used it in the hospital on the breast, a tiny bit will really make a baby latch tight at first. never that much. i'd ask or stay out of it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I was given a bottle of sugar water with my youngest (he'll be 3 soon) in the hospital - they were hoping the sweet taste would encourage him to latch on to my nipple because he wasn't nursing well. But I have no clue why someone would give such a young baby that much water - it can be very harmful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• abbeyrose-I highly doubt that. The little girl was not upset, until her mother began to shake the bottle of sugar water into her mouth even though she was turning away from it. So...I don't buy the "colic" story. Besides their are healthier ways to help with colic even if that was what it was for.
    Same with constipation.
    It seemed to me like she was using it in place of formula, because after that her mom was like "why isn't she going to sleep? she's had her bottle"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• it used to be recommended. some cultures still recommend it, as well as dr's here. i would never do ti myself, nor would i worry if i saw someone else do it. people used to suggest i do it when i was breastfeeding my twins. some people thought my twins spent too much time at the breast, so they suggested sugar water. i decided that the babies spend time at the breast b/c they need the milk, or the comfort...so i put them to the breast!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2010