what is the myth about babies and mirrors?

I was holding my baby in front of the mirror and playing, then my SO told me not to do that, something about an old superstition. That terrified me, what is it? Babies have mirror toys, I have never heard this!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• omg! thats retarded
    Anonymous

• eye rollingThat if a baby sees him/herself in a mirror before their first birthday that they will die. My MIL believes it and I just have to smile and walk away.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 6:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. when i brung my newborn baby home 8 years ago, i showed herself to teh mirrow as i was showing her around her new home..... shes still alive.
    Anonymous

• I've been accused of being pretty superstitious, but I've never heard that one. I'm going to have to go research that one. I love old superstitions.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 6:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My son LOOOOVES looking in the mirror. My SO jokingly said the same thing. Are you really superstitious? I don't think black cats or walking under a ladder are gonna hurt you either.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 6:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I have never heard that they will die but i heard that it will take them a while before they start teething or it will be painful when they are teething...something like that. I son loves looking in the mirror and he is 6 months. Just don't feed into superstition.
    mzQ

Answer by mzQ at 7:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I meant *my son
    mzQ

Answer by mzQ at 7:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Huh I never heard the teething thing but it did take my son til he was 10 months old to get his first tooth. So maybe! lol
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• thanks. i'm not superstitious but it's my baby, its much more scary than something bad happening to justme
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• That's nuts. I've never heard of that and I have 3 kids! I have a 3 month old and I love to show her what her pretty face looks like in the mirror. :)
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 7:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010