do contractions have to hurt?

im getting them about every 10 mins. but they do not hurt. just my belly gets really tight. its uncomfortable, but they dont hurt. is this normal or common??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Be sure you are well hydrated, nourished, rested, not stressed. You might try a bath and/or walk to see what might affect the contractions, and get them to stop.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• no they dont always hurt. how far along are you?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• No they do not have to be painful. Braxton hicks usually are not, they are "practice."

How far along are you?
    How long have they been 10 minutes apart?
    How long is each one?
    Have you had any bleeding or mucous plug discharge?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Sounds like Braxton hicks to me but are they CONSTANT at 10 apart? and all the other questions already asked
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• They don't have to especially if you have taken breathing classes and know how to to breathe correctly at each stage

Answer by admckenzie at 7:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• im 35 weeks
    they been 10 mins for almost an hour now.
    mucus plug has been comming out past 2 days.
    the contractions stay for about a min or less
    Anonymous

• hmm if your mucas plug has come outi think you should call your OB/Gyn. get out some paper and start writing down the time each one starts and ends if you have a second timer handy
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• if you are havign more than 4 or 6 contactuion and and hour is time to go to the hospital at 32 wks i was having contratcion every 10 mts. the didnt hurt. i went to the hsopital and they went form evry 10 mts to vert 2 mts in like 20 mts. i was out on bed rest for a month
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I'm on baby number 4, been in active labor and dilated with contractions that don't hurt and they finally started hurting when my water broke. Before that, I've never experienced contractions that hurt. Just the kind that you've described. Tightening and discomfort with no pain.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My contractions don't hurt until my water breaks. My Dr always told me to lie down or take a bath. If they are still on schedule after an hour of that then call the Dr.... but that is how my DR wanted me to handle it. Never hurts to call your Dr or the hospital you will deliver at.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 8:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2010