been thinking about names

so here is the deal both my kids have my xhusbands last name now im pregnant and this isnt his child, we are in the middle of a divorce but I would like my kids to all have the same name would it be wrong to give this baby his last name?? and then just keep mine the way it is even tho i was gonna change it, or should I give this baby mine and then once mine is changed my 2 kids will have his and this one and me mine, or should i have them all changed to mine? sorry if its sorta confusing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It doesn't make any difference as long as they are loved and safe. Any last name is fine, if it's just a legal safety thing about what paperwork needs done, and for easy tax filing or just easy health records change the last to the first ex's name.
    Anonymous

• My inclination would be for all of them to have your name, but he must have rights.

Answer by Bmat at 7:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• If you want them all to have the same last name then just give the baby the last name also since it is still legally your last name too...unless your husband is totally against it. But It is ok for the new baby to just have your last name and not have the last name as the other kids. Maybe this child wouldnt want to have your other kids dad last name unless he will take care of this baby also. Just think of how the child would feel, and what you feel would be best...sorry if im no help lol...but good luck. I think either way is ok.
    mzQ

Answer by mzQ at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I would see how your ex feels about you passing his last name on to a child that's not his. And changing your name to his last name. I would keep yours the way it is and give this baby yours too. I also am not sure if you can change the other kids to yours without his permission. If I were in your ex's shoes I probably wouldn't like it.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• OP here I talked to my x he doesnt care either way i sorta want my last name back but i dont wanna have to go thru and change the kids last name just because of that so i was thinking of giving this baby both mine and his like I have it even tho my kids arent that way now, and then change theirs to just add mine in there?? not sure if this is all gonna be hard to do
    Anonymous

• Ugh please don't do that! I can't stand 2 last names and I would have hated it if my parents had done that to me. What a pain! If he doesn't mind then give the new baby his last name. (Unless the bio father has any say)
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• If you get pregnant while you are still married (and it does not matter if you are going through a divorce) and it is not the husbands baby it is the law that you have to give the baby the husbands last name anyway.
    My divorce went through (after 5 YEARS of going through it) one month before I got pregnant...but it took me awhile to do all the legality of changing back to my maiden name...so the hospital was confused and they actually put my EX husbands last name on the paperwork at first..and you can just imagine my dismay as well as my SO's reaction,lol.
    We did get it all situated but thats how I found out about that law.
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Kimberly that's not true in Minnesota. You can name your child anything you want here. It can be a random name out of the phone book for all they care.
    Anonymous