My son still can't ride a bike

He will be 5 in April. He has never been able to use the peddles on a tricycle or a bike. DH and I tried a lot when he was younger. We showed him how to use the peddles and helped by pushing him. We took him around his cousins and he saw them ride their bikes and tricycles. One of his cousins is 3 months younger than him and he has been riding a bike for nearly 3 yrs now. He was riding his tricycle by 18 months. I gave up a while ago and let him decide when he was ready to ride a bike. That was a long time ago and there has been no progress at all. He doesn't care one bit to ride. All of the kids in his preschool class ride the tricycles at recess, execpt for my son. I don't know what else to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd couldn't ride until she was 7, but was quite gifted in other areas. every child is different.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• and? who cares all kids are different,nothing wrong
    Anonymous

• My oldest was like that. The whole balance thing made him uncomfortable. I got him a scooter and he got really good with it. He did all sorts of fancy stuff that required a lot of balance. Then he was about 7 -7.5 and his bff's mom showed him how to balance on the bike and he was riding on his own w/in 3 hours. The dd went over and learned in about 10 minutes. They are 10 &12 now and are awesome riders. My 5 yr old is the same as his older brother and will learn when he is ready.

In the meantime, don't sweat it. He'll get it when he is ready.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Tricycles don't require any balance.
    Anonymous

• as long as he is doing other things kids his age do like kicking a ball running playing other activities i wouldn't worry about it....does his doctor ask if he can ride a bike my childs doc asked at her 3 and 4 year old check up??
    Anonymous

• The idea of a scooter seems like a good idea. Have you asked him why he doesn't want to ride? There could be a fear or just no interest. Biking is not everyone's thing. I wouldn't worry too much.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• So what? I didn't ride a bike until I was 12. Some people just aren't really meant to ride a bike!
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 7:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Aha! Guilt for not being able to assist your child to do what the other kids are doing. If you fear he has some problems with balance, talk with your pediatrician. My daughter refused to ride her bicycle (even with training wheels) until she was 8 or 9. She was taught by a girlfriend who was a little older. I agree with Ms. Mouse, they all do it at their own speed.
    By the way, I learned to ride when I was five, no training wheels, hit every tree and many cars from riding on the sidewalk like Mr. Toad in his car because my father said if I didn't learn, he would give it to someone who would ride it. Yuck! Bad old days.
    empatheticnana

Answer by empatheticnana at 9:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• don't worry, it will come! my kids didn't get it right away either! we know kids that pedaled without any guidance from adults at age 3 and 4...then there were mine that didn't get it until age 4, and 5 1/2! all kids are different!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Try a balance bike. They're awesome! They have no pedals and no training wheels. So the kids use their feet to balance and move, then they coast. Once they outgrow it, they can typically move onto a bike with pedals and do fine without training wheels since they know how to balance. Try searching toysrus or wal-mart for balance bike. Thats where I found mine, quite cheap, but I took the hand brake off since it connected to the front wheel. There's also http://www.stridersports.com/ http://www.runbikes.com/home.jsp and http://www.weeride.com/WeeRide-Push-Bike-Trainer
    VolpeFemmina

Answer by VolpeFemmina at 11:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010