FEVER ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Hi there, my 20 month old son has a fever, it's 38.4...well was that! After some tylenol and a warm bath, it went to 38.0. I know this isn't a HIGH fever, but it's definitly not normal for him...he has no other symptoms at all, I'm wondering what it could be! Any suggestions, for a fever that just starts at the end of the day, no other symptoms and it's not too high...and it came down right after the tylenol and a bath. He's sleeping now, and I'm going to take his temp again in an hour...hopefully it hasn't gone up again! Thanks all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just dress him lightly. If he is uncomfortable from the fever after 4-6 hours, give him another dose or a dose of ibuprofen. Generally I wait for 3-4 days of fever to call the doctor. You can always call in the morning if you are still nervous or he fever has gotten a lot higher. My youngest can run 103.5 (39.7) very easily with little to no other symptoms until the fever leaves, but I have gotten used to him so I know when to call and when to ride it out for a day or two. Hope you little one gets better soon!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Has he had a cold recently? Or is this the first and only sign? I wouldn't worry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Thanks! I guess I get all panicky cause i'm a first time mom, He's only had a fever a few times up to 20 months old! It's good to hear that it's not something I should be too worried about right away.
    Anonymous

• He had a bit of a runny nose today...which he only ever has when he does have a cold. But it barely ran, lol...so I wouldn't say he has one...and he hasn't been sick recently either.
    Anonymous

• It's hard when it's your first child...
    teething??
    Does he pull at his ears at all?

My thought is not to worry....unless the fever is high for a long time and the child becomes lethargic and won't drink then I am sure it's ok....
    Anonymous

• He's been kinda sticking his finger in his left ear...about 3x this evening...hard to tell if it's cause he's tired or ear infection, because he didn't take his aftrn nap! I know he just cut a tooth on the bottom over the past few day's, I saw it poking threw, yesterday for the first time, must have just popped up. I feel like I have to give him the tylenol every 4 to 6 hours to keep his fever from going up...is that how it works???
    Anonymous

• a fever in and of itself is not a bad thing....alot of docs these days don't even recommend treating a fever. It could be the teething--or maybe an ear infection. How long has he had the fever?? Is he eating and acting like normal?
    Anonymous

• yes, he's acting totally normal, eating, drinking...and playing the same. He just started to feel hot this evening, he was normal all day really. He's sleeping ok now too, for the past hour..I think I'll be waiting it out for the night, then I'll see what he's like in the morning. I have an after hours service through my Doc, so I can take him through the night if he get's worse! I might just wait until tomorrow to take him to the Doc...thanks ladies for the advice so far, keep it coming...I like to hear that it's pretty common and normal with other children as well...gives me peace of mind, not to rush him to emerg through the night, lol...if his fever spikes up a bit higher....
    Anonymous

• then I wouldn't worry---chances are he'll be fine in the morning :-)
    Anonymous

• My son had a runny nose and temp. when he was teething. Wouldnt hurt to keep an eye on his temp. but dont get to worked up over it. Sounds like you will know if and when he needs to be seen by a Dr. You are doing a good job mommy!!
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010