How can i get my son to sleep all night long without waking up?

I put my son to bed between the hours of 6:00 and 8:00. Then he wakes up between the hours of midnight and 4:00 in the morning. When he was born he was a wake all night then he would go to sleep around 6:00 in the morning. He didn't start sleeping through the night until he was 2 months old every since then he will go to sleep then wake up. Now he is one year old shouldn't he be sleeping all night long by now.

anisette183

Asked by anisette183 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I wouldn't put him to bed until 8:00. IMO any earlier is TOO early. Mine would be up at the crack of dawn too if I put her down before 8:00.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• You can't physically force a child to sleep. Some kids just don't sleep through the night until their older. He might be going through a growth spurt. Basically, you just need to get over it. It's not the end of the world. He'll sleep through the night when he's ready to sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

• Ha...my son was 3 before he slept through the night....

6 does sounds a little early to put him to sleep--what's his nap schedule?
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• All babies have their days and nights mixed up when they are first born, so him sleeping all day and up all night was normal. Get him nice and tired before bed. Have him chase you around the house. And try putting him down at 730-8pm. When he does wake up in the middle of the night dont rush to his bedside right away. Don't turn on any lights and see if he'll put himself back to sleep.

I am a firm believer that children need to learn how to self soothe and put themselves back to sleep. It's a very important life skill that should be taught at a young age. Trust me, my stepdaughter never was taught how to do that and now she can't go to sleep without someone sitting with her and she's in our room everytime she wakes up complaining that she can't get back to sleep. And she's 7.5 now.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think 6 pm is way too early....by midnight she has had almost 6 hours of sleep and by 4 she has had 10 hours of sleep. I would try 8 pm with a snack before bed, maybe a warm bath and cuddle with a book. Having a routine and helping my son unwind really helped alot. A snack will help so she doesnt get hungry during the night. By 4 am she may be hungry after no food for at least 10 hours. Good Luck and be patient, kids are sure hard to figure out sometimes.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• i put mine down at 7-ish (ususally, unless we have church or something that night) and he sleeps until about 7:30 am. he will wake up if he is wet, and i will change him. go and check on him, check his diaper, give him a little to drink if necessary, then leave the room. he needs to learn to go back to sleep if he wakes up.
    we are weaning my 17 month old into his "big boy bed" he has even fallen out, but i try to put him back in anyway, not into his pack and play where he was sleeping. it is just a matter of sleep training.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• my son is 7 months and ahs made his own bedtime since he was 5 months.
    its 9pm. sometime it switches between 8pm to 9pm though.
    he gets 2 naps through out the day. maybe 3.
    he wakes up at about 9am.
    nap at about noonish..
    maybe at 3ish
    then almost always at 6pm. but no later because it will mess with his routine.
    try to put your son on a routine. it will help him as much as it will help you.
    but dont force it on him. kind of let him make it. or you choose something to try for a few days, but if its a no-go, try something new. or wait for him
    good luck mommi!!!
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• not necessarily. Especially if he is uncomfortable, like he is wet and needs a diaper, or is hungry, etc. You got lucky with him sleeping through the night at 2 months old.. with the exception on my daughter, most of my families kids, and friends kids didn't until they were at least 6 months old, and some not until they were 2 or 3 (like I did to my mother, lol).

Anyways, first try to find out why he is waking up. Is he in need of a new diaper? Hungry? Just needs someone to hold him? etc. If it's a new diaper.. try giving him his bottle an hour earlier than his bedtime, and setting your alarm to change him before he wakes up. If he is hungry.. try giving him a little snack before bed (nothing sugary mind you, but some cereal or something easy and warm) If he just wants comfort, try making sure he gets a warm bath before bed, and try some white noise or music for him to sleep with or a t-shirt you wore that day.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• YES HE SHOULD BE SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT, BUT JUST MAYBE YOU ARE PUTTING HIM TO BED TO EARLY BETWEEN 6-8 IF I WERE HIM I WOULD PROBABLY THINK YOUR CRAZY. BUT NO TRY GIVING HIM A BATH AROUND 830 RUBBING HIM DOWN WITH LOTION AND PUTTING HIM TO BED BY 9-930 THAT SHOULD HELP CAUSE ANY KID THAT GOES TO BED EARLY IS GOING TO WAKE UP EARLY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Feb. 8, 2010