I want to give our pets to people who can take care of them but my husband and daughter are standing in the way...What to do?

We just have way to much going. They deserve to be with people who have more time for them. The dog needs a yard and to be more active. He stays in the hallway all day while we are gone. When we get home we have so much going on that we can't walk him properly. And going on a walk once a day isn't enough anyways. He gets in the trash all the time, gets into the cat box and makes a huge mess. He pees everywhere. It is awful. We also have a cat who is super needy for affection. She is easier to tend to because she doesn't need to go out. However, we get so busy that her box doesn't get cleaned as often as it should. I know this makes me sound awful and maybe I am for allowing this to go on as long as it has...but I am trying to change it. My husband won't part with them though. He thinks we can do it all but I know we can't. My daughter cries and gets mad when I bring up giving them to others who can take care of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Pets

• If you are so busy that you can't properly care for a cat and a dog, maybe you need to look at your life overall. I can almost understand that the dog takes time since he needs walked at least once a day and to go out more often but I've always had cats and they hardly take any time at all. If your husband and child truly feel upset at the thought of getting rid of them, then they need to come up with a solution to spending more time on the pets.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• I think you need to make a list of all of the changes that need to be made in order to keep the pets. Then show your daughter and husband the list and give them say a month to make those changes. If at the end of the month, they have not stepped up and taken responsibility (you need to step it up too, how hard is it to empty the cat's box?) then it may be time to rehome one or both of the animals.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• It's not easy I know but You should own up to the responsibility since you did get the pets. This is why I think breeders should interview ppl before they sell their animals. If you knew you had no yard and couldnt walk the dog why get one? Cat litter is not hard to change. I mean cmon. Divide the resposibilities amongst the family and keep them until they pass.
    Anonymous

• you have to do what is best for your pets! if your daughter and husband don't want to get rid of them, then they better step it up a notch and take great care of them! how would your family feel if you only did laundry 2 x a month, or only prepared a meal 1 x a week?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2010