should I have my dog put down

I have a standardpoodle with severe arthritis of the hips and pelvis. he has had treatments of shots, steroids, and pain meds. he was white, now he is losing his hair and turning brown. has had baths once a week also. hardly can get up unless helped.

allie586

Asked by allie586 at 2:56 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pets

• i agree. i worked at a vet and it was heartbreaking to see pets suffering for the sake of their owners not wanting to "be the bad guy". ending his pain is the most loving thing you can do for him aside from giving him a wonderful home and life.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I would put him down..it is hard to do but you also do not want your dog to suffer like that. We had to put down our dog because of his hip he could not make it back in the house and could not get up and it was the middle of winter we had no choice...it is for the best
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 3:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• my opionion, if it is going to make his suffering stop then go ahead, just take many pictures before doing so. It helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• yes you are torturing him to make youeslf feel less guilty of ending his life
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Ahh first of all my deepest sympathy for what you are going through. In my opinion it would be best to put him down. It is indeed very hard to put selfish love on the back burner but you have to love them enough to say good bye. Best of luck to your family..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• would you like to be in pain? yes i know it is hard to put him down ,you see i had to do this to my dog,but she was in pain and i hated seeing her suffer. you do what you think is best. God bless you
    MJane

Answer by MJane at 5:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• NO!!!! Would you put your grandmother down just because she broke her hip?? A grandmother enjoys the little things in life, and I believe it's not different with dogs. Euthanization is cruel and unusual punishment that they use on prison inmates. It causes chest pain and stops the heart. It's ruthless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I've had to go through that with my dog. It's really hard, but you have to think about his quality of life.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 8:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Whenever the pets "quality of life" goes, it's time to put it down. Why make it suffer?
    LOve him enough to put him out of his misery! You've taken good care of him, let him go in peace!
    Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 8:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i am sorry i would as well iam sooo sorry for you and i would read the rainbow bridge poem
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2008