Does your MIL help you with your baby?

Mine doesn't. Never has. Guess that's the way it's going to be...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Mine doesnt either. It annoys me, she doesnt work, she goes to school 3 days a week, and is out of school Fri-Mon, so she has the whole weekend. She makes time to spend with my brother in laws niece, but doesnt have time for her ONLY grandchild. Its annoying. But, when we are together she tells people she keeps him 2-3 days a week....I want to scream BULLSHIT!! But it took a long time for us to have a good relationship and I dont want to screw it up.
    camsmommy2009

Answer by camsmommy2009 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Since when was it her job to help with YOUR baby? She didn't have a baby YOU did. Extra help is nice, and always be greatful, but we aren't entitled to it....
    Anonymous

• Nope, mine never did. We're not really close (she 's not close to dh either.) She sees our kids once every three or four months on average. My mom and dad will sit for us on occasion, mainly if I have a doctor/dentist appt or if one child has an appt where it's hard to bring the other kids along.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My dd's paternal grandmother doesn't take the time to get to know her only grandchild. She does have health issues, but she manages to go out with her friends to lunch, shopping, etc. There's no excuse for her behavior. The last time my dd saw her was on Christmas.

I really wish my own mom was still alive. She was a wonderful grandmother, who loved to spend time with her grandkids (my sibling's kids).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Oh yeah, I have a life. My mil does not help, and I really don't care. It's her choice and her loss and my kids are just fine thank you. It's not anyone's right. I think you are just pissed off and want to stay that way. Your attitude in front of your kids about her not helping them is what's going to give them a complex. But go ahead stay angry, that's healthy..
    Anonymous

• No, but she lives 16 hours away, so if she were here she would.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• She'll watch them for a couple of hours if I ask her too but it's NOT her JOB to watch my kids. It's mine.

It always amazes me when people act like it's the responsibility of their mother or MIL to watch their children.

A right to see them? Yes in most cases. Her responsibility? Not so much.
    Anonymous

• Your post says she's not helping, there is a difference between helping and spending time with them. My mil does not help with my kids, but she does visit and spend time with my kids on holidays. There is a difference.
    Anonymous

• lol anon at 857 hit it dead on. That's all I was getting at before the op shot off like an angry little girl. So much entitlement. It amazes me how people verbally attack others who point out their part in a situation. I have a funny feeling that the op may be the reason mil doesn't come around much....
    Anonymous

• No. She would if she could, though. She passed away 5 years ago. =(
    Anonymous